Why do people put their hands on someones upper back?

I've noticed people do this when they're trying to listen to someone, or when they're talking about that person to someone else.

Most Helpful Girl

• I DON'T KNOW BUT I DON'T LIKE IT.

Like the second I feel someone's hand touching my upper back I wriggle away from them and put distance between us.

What Girls Said 4

• It's just a natural thing.

• When they're listening, it usually means that they're leaning in to maybe try to hear better. And then when they're talking about them, it's simply because they are referring them.

• Shows you're attentive? I don't know.

• To show they support you.

What Guys Said 2

• its used as a reference point because when they do that they usually lean in closer with their head as well in order to hear more efficiently so putting their hand on the person's back will tell them how close they are getting without having to look at the person's head and then stopping and turning their ear into them.

• So that would apply to when your sitting down with someone and they do it?

• that could apply as well. these days though it seems more like a common thing to do, a conditioned habit, like how a person says bless you when another sneezes.

• Physical connection bruh, be more memorable