Why people cut their hair for charity?

I’ve noticed some people mentioning dat they cut their hair for charity reasons. I mean…. how some strands of hair, would help poor ppl? o_O

Most Helpful Girl

• I want to see the new look! :P

it helps to make wigs for cancer patients, I used to cut my hair for charity when I was little.

What Girls Said 6

• Usually they are donating their hair to be made into wigs for people who have illnesses that cause hair loss (for example, people receiving chemo for cancer). One such charity is called Locks for Love.

I've also heard of people raising money in more of a "if I raise x amount of money, I'll shave my head" sort of way.

• Some people are saying it has nothing to do with being poor, but to some extent it does. For example, from the Locks for Love website:

"Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis."

So, that charity appears to be mainly for young people from poorer families who would not be able to afford high quality wigs.

• @electromagnetic

Yeah, they have guidelines (which can be found here: http://www.locksoflove.org/get-involved/
      For example, it needs to be at least 10 inches in length.

I'm not sure what they do with hair that doesn't qualify. From the website, it looks like they sell it (for example, if it's not long enough, or if it's grey hair (since this particularly charity makes hairpieces for children)) and the proceeds are used to offset manufacturing costs.

I imagine that they use real hair because, well, it's nicer and looks more natural. However, from their FAQ, they provide synthetic hair to children under 6 years old (because, well, their head size grows rapidly, so the hairpiece won't fit them for very long), or children with short-term hairloss.

• Oh. Thanks for the clarification. Helped a bit.

• Yeah I've done it before... it has nothing to do with poor people but for people that can't grow their own hair like people with cancer or alopecia.

Just like many girls by weave to make their hair look longer, thicker, or just better in general they'll make wigs out of it for these patients.

• Of course. People who have really long hair donate it in order for their hair to be made into wigs for cancer victims.

• Maybe it's those that donate the hair?

• Snow snow snow snow snow... i knew you knew nothing. people who suffer from cancer are bald. at least they become bald after the chemotherapy. people donate their own hair to charity organizations, and so eventually their hair gets turned into wigs for the cancer patients.

i expected a master to know this stuff. i suppose I'd be a much better maste than you. since you don't even know who Hitlers wife was.

• It doesn't help the poor. Thousands of people lose their hair to deseas and human hair wigs are the bet wigs out there, so people donate their hair

What Guys Said 3

• I think nobody gives money anymore it has to have some form of self promotion attached.

• It's not about the hair, it's about getting the attention.

• Bald and Poor people that don't have hair want hair...