GAGers: Do you consider Jews to also be a race, or just a religious group?

I already know the real answer to this debate, I just want to see who among you know it as well.

• Yes, Jews are also a race.
  • No, Jews are just a religious group.
  • Being Jewish is both of a religion and of a race.
  • Jews are not just a religious group, but they're not a race either.
I just realized that option A and C are pretty much the same thing, so you can ignore option C. Anyways, the real answer to this old debate is: The people who say that Jews are not just a religion, but a race as well, are only HALF right. Jews are also considered an ethnic group since the majority of them have common ancestry with the 12 tribes of Israel. The reason why most people get this wrong is because they keep mixing up "Jewish" with "Hebrew". I myself am part Hebrew, but I'm not Jewish.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's a race, but it is an ethnicity though. I know there are certain illnesses and things that they're more likely to have due to genetic makeup. (Ulcerative colitis, Tay-Sachs, cystic fibrosis etc.) Ashkenazi Jews at least. just as there are other things that other ethnicities are more prone to having, due to their genetic makeup.

What Girls Said 4

• There are a lot of cultural practices that come with being Jewish. It is definitely a religious group. I wouldn't call it a race or an identity, but some people identify as such.

• The reason why it's also considered to be an ethnicity is because almost every Israeli Jew shares common ancestry with the 12 tribes of Israel, and are also prone to certain genetic ailments. www.jewishgeneticdiseases.org/.../

• That makes sense if you're Israeli, but I'm not sure that holds true for everyone.

• Yes, it does not apply to every one because there's more than one group of Jews. There's the purely religious Jews, who are in no way ethnically Hebrew. There are those who are only ethnically "Jewish" (it's really Hebrew, but the reason why so many people consider those two terms to be the same is because the vast majority of Jews are ethnically Hebrew). And then there are those who are both.

• Religious group

• Just religion.

• it is an ethnicity not a race i lerned. but i do think of them as something elsee

What Guys Said 6

• Depends where you are on israeli census you are jew, arab or other ( There was no box for just israeli ) so they make distinction but I would say a religion

• Are Christians a race? Are Muslims a race? What about Buddhists, Hinduisms... it's a religious group, I'd never consider them a race, if they were, then all other people from the rest of religious groups would also be from different races.

• Bro was this question by any chance inspired by a video by The Black Hokage?

I think it's just a religion since discrimination against them isn't considered racism.

• I decided to ask this because I've overheard a debate about it between some of my friends :P Also I actually just finished watching one of his trolling videos! lol

• Lmao thats whats up

• Being Jewish is like being born into the most exclusive Diners Club.

• Well clearly Judaism is not a race.

• There are black, white, Asian, hispanic jews just like there are black, white, Asian, hispanic christians and muslims. Its pretty simple