Army or Marines?

Well here goes. I have been training my whole life for military because I don't like the fact men and women are dying while I am sitting in a classroom. I am usually good at making up my mind and have read into everything about SF. I am at Seal level but I don't like that seals are in the spotlight of the world right now I want to be more of the quiet soldier. So I have narrowed it down to army or marines due to them having the type of forces I like but what about you who do you prefer?

• Army
  • Marines

Most Helpful Guy

• You are not at "Seal level." It's more about mentality than physical fitness. It doesn't matter how fit you are they make you exercise until you're past your breaking point (believe me you've never gone as hard as they'd make you go) and then they observe and see how you deal with a task when you're past that breaking point. The biggest most fit looking dudes tend to actually be some of the first that wash out. It doesn't matter how fit you are if you have the wrong mentality which it seems you do.
    If you want to be in SF Army has more options. With marines it's either Force Recon or MARSOC. With Army you can sign up to be a Ranger right away. You go to ranger school right after basic. If you want Green Berets you have to have a really high score on your PT tests and you have to stand out during your tour of duty. I'm actually more impartial for Marines than Army but your options are greater if SF is your goal. Don't even think about Delta Force you'd have to be in the Army for several years and stand out even amongst the Rangers/Green Berets for them to even invite you to come try out for them where the attrition rate is still really high.

• Seal PT equivalent meaning I have a competitive score. Yes I am well aware of people saying how bad it is and I am also aware of how right they are. To increase mental toughness I have been involved with Muay Thai, Free Diving, and Ju-jitsu. I doubt this is enough however I haven't given up and don't plan to. However thanks for the info.

• Hmm Would you say rangers and marines are in the same category and would deploy as often as each other?

• If you were deployed "chances" are you'd see more action as a Ranger. Your deployment will probably be longer if you went with the Army than if you went with Marines. It also depends on your MOS.

What Girls Said 6

What Guys Said 10

• i dont want to recommend one for just being quite, honestly just go with your gut. service is service. none is better than the other for they are all honorable and admirable.

• Marines the few the proud the bold my grandfather was a marine, they are one hell of a soldier I'd go marines, just remember there is no such thing as an ex marine.

“If I charge, follow me. If I retreat, kill me. If I die, revenge me.” ― United States Marine Corps

• See I was gonna recommend the Marines for him, but then I read that he wanted quiet so... y'know. :p

• @linkywinky Navy Seals are in the spotlight to much right now and are in danger from the public exposure since all of their missions are classified that is why he said he was going to Marines or Army.

• Marines are the best in the world. Army was in the past for people who had no place to go because the standards were low.

• Depends on what MOS (your military job) you'd want to go for. For infantry/combat MOS's, I would suggest the Marines since they're always the first to go onto the battlefield. But if you want to do special forces, then you can try out for Army Airborne (aka Green Berets) or the Army Rangers since you don't want to be in the Seals.

• I think you have to decide on your own. The both require different types of people.

• Oorah! Marines! Gotta love Marine history!

• Go for the Marine Corps

• Marines is much harder

• My friend became a ranger and his buddy became a marine the only difference between army and marines is discipline.

• Rangers are the special forces of the Army

• Haha no they're more like shock troops they aren't special forces. Green Berets, Army Sappers and a slew of other tactical units make up the armies special forces but rangers are more like advanced infantry.

• As others have said if you want some kind of special operations forces (or more specifically be in a group that's a part of SOC) in your future there's many contracts you can sign. For the Army you can sign an 18x contract which is literally special forces contract which means you basically do your standard recruit training, then after that you go to airborne school and become airborne qualified then you go into a bunch of pre Q course training (q course is the name for the special forces training) then you go into the Q course. So that's a direct route into special forces. You can go with an op 40 contract and go through RASP and become a 75th Ranger.

In Marines there's really only MARSOC that's in SOC and they're virtually a copy and paste of the Army Special Forces. No contracts for that. Gotta wait 3 years and be at least an E-4. But there is recon and force recon. You can enlist and get a UZ contract which guarantees you a shot at recon training. Do that then try and get into force recon after you pass and basically do that until you're eligible for MARSOC. Force Recon isn't a part of SOC (they were offered to be in it and they chose not to) but they definitely are an elite unit.

If you go Marines again you can enlist with a UZ contract from the beginning to go to recon but be warned. If you don't make it through recon training you'll be reassigned and probably not to the infantry or any combat role because there's already too many people in those roles. You can also sign an infantry contract (3xx) and during SOI if there's spots you can volunteer for recon and even if you fail you'll still end up in a combat role. For Marsoc it doesn't matter what MOS you had before that (a marine chef could try out).

You have similar risks in Army 18X program. If you fail out you'll be reassigned. If you're lucky you'll be reassigned to the 82nd Airborne. You can try again in the future for special forces if it doesn't work out the first time.(a lot of 18x people failed then served in the military for a few years and got experience and went back to try out for special forces and got it.) Same with the op 40 contract. If you fail out of RASP you'll be reassigned and again if lucky you'll get 82nd Airborne. You run the risk of being reassigned to a non combat role but it's probably not too likely since they already spent a lot of money training you to be airborne qualified.

Marsoc and Special Forces (Green Berets) are essentially the same and do the same things.

• In terms of what I'd do in your shoes. I'd go with Marines and get an infantry contract and then try and work on getting into division recon and then force recon and get experience there for a few years and then go into Marsoc.

• If you want more to do (parachuiting, jobs, more knowledge, etc.) Join the army because it has a lot tools that could benefit your education.

If you want to be a devil dog (test your strength and fight in the frontlines of battle) then join the marines

I would choose marines tbh because I don't have a lot to live for but I do have something worth dying for