Do you think walking on the side walk makes you look poor?

Personally I think that walking on the sidewalk makes people look poor. It means they don't have a car or a driver.

• Yes, walking on the sidewalk makes people look poor.
  • No, walking on the sidewalk doesn't make people look poor.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think your're thinking too much into this, with your privilidged arabian rich self , in your
    20 m yacht and mainson,

I believe if you catch a bus, you are poor

• But if everyone was not walking on the sidewalk, then we'd all be overweight and obesed, because it's nice to take a stroll and burn a few pounds

• and not drive and put on weight

• But then again it actually does in a sense, where your from it is obviously a middle eastern country and very hot. and deserty.
      So people seeing walking, may be either seen as poor or mad.

Because it's much cooler and efficient in a car, which people may lack in some countries. there is a bigger gap between poor and rich in the middle east i think, your boss is probably middle class and well off

What Guys Said 39

• You have a lot of growing up to do. As a 15-year old, chances are that your parents pay for your things which means you cannot afford to shelter yourself, keep yourself fed, clothe yourself and, certainly, cannot afford to drive.

• That's why I have a driver. Because I can't drive

• my driver is not my parents. If it was.. They would actually drive me places but they don't

• Your parents are probably the reason people are still shitting in holes in the ground... Maybe your ass should walk in their shoes for a week... also I think you do this to make yourself feel more fulfilled In your dull life here things are given to you. I've dated girls like you... You bore me.

• 11|5
  • I'm going to go ahead and guess you don't live in a major city. Here, a car is too impractical to use in a lot of situations due to lack of parking and heavily congested traffic. Most everyone who works downtown takes a bus regardless of how much they make, and that means having to walk a few blocks from the bus stop to their actual place of work.

Sorry but in major urban areas public transit > your own car for logistical reasons alone. And taking public transit does mean having to walk a ways as well for most people.

• I live in Doha, the capital of Qatar. So it's a major city

• @Your_boss960 you live in a different country than most who will answer this

• In the US, taking public transit is simply a fact of life for people who live or work in major metropolitan areas because of lack of ability to park your car and the fact that public transit is often allowed to bypass congested traffic. Although I live less than ten miles (16 km) from work, the traffic congestion during busy times of day means that trip would take over an hour if I were to drive. Using public transit I can bypass traffic and be there in 20 minutes. This is not a "poor people" thing. This is how life works in heavily populated urban areas in both Europe and the US.

• Hahahaha that's not true at all, in fact walking on the sidewalk makes people look creative and active, but I can understand where this thought is coming from, it comes from the lazy and rich lifestyle that people in the Arabian golf have, I mean no offense for you but you guys have the highest obesity rate among Arabs and you spend most of your times eating and counting gold so you guys barely move, I assume that if you want to go to the supermarket which is 100 meters away from your house, you will need your driver to open the door for you and put you in the back seat. So again it doesn't surprise me that a spoilt teenage girl from Qatar thinking this way.

• Ouch and I realize (a) my opinion didn't sound very nice and (b) I also get where you're coming from but keep in mind she may not have traveled outside of Qatar or the Gulf much.

• Lol I figured - I'm wondering what Italian coffee is/how they make it/etc.

• @lanternhill Google is your best friend, my friend lol

• hahaa no.

wow filler really?

• Yes. Why?

• Yeah.. Maybe they changed the requirements again for how long an opinion should be

• if they did that's just ridonculous. but whateeevs :P

• I think you are sincere. You are genuinely puzzled that the cultural norms of Doha are not universal. You believe what you say is true, that owning and driving a car or having a dedicated driver should be a necessary and universal status indicator. The fact is that nothing could be further from the truth. Many things that we take for granted have really good reasons. Cars in Doha could be due to very hot summers. Makes sense that you'd opt for air conditioned comfort. I'd do the same as I hate hot weather. Where I live summer temperatures are seldom higher than 20C (68F for the cousins). So we don't have to avoid the same discomfort you do.
    Are you sure labourers walk because they're poor? Not quite a wild guess but most if not all are probably migrant workers. They go to Qatar because the pay is likely higher than in their home countries. Furthermore their families and extended families are still back home and these workers send most of their earnigs home to support their families. $10B per year or thereabouts?
    Have to admit I don't understand why walking is a thing of the past just because there are gyms. Offer me a choice between 90 minutes indoors with a bunch of narcissists admiring themselves in wall to wall to wall mirrors, grunting groaning and getting the exercises all wrong to the worst music ever, versus a tai chi set in a park listening to birds singing, God's green grass under my feet, and gentle breezes keeping me cool - no contest!
    Finally there's climate change and carbon emissions. I haven't owned a car since 1989, and I don't intend to change now. Taxis are my last resort if I need to get anywhere. If there's any alternative, I'll use it. Again I don't blame you or hold anything against you, but just so you know any argument in favour of of cars or denigrating alternatives will usually get polite but firm rebuttals from this corner of cyber-space.
    Here's hoping you take these comments in the spirit in which they're offered - of a reasonable and courteous exchange of ideas.
    I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, just to plant a seed that in the fullness of time will grow and ripen and produce beautiful fruit.
    Vaya con Dios.

• huh... no... this has nothing to do with being poor/rich :)

• about a couple miles away from where i live is a place called Palos Verdes. people walk outside all the time and on sidewalks there. they all own homes worth millions of dollars. im sorry, but you are flat out wrong lol

• But there are no bus transport systems where I live... And so everyone has a car. And if they don't that means that they are laborers

• so maybe where you live people think that way... but that is definitely not the norm in most parts of the world. not even close.

i should also mention that a lot of those residents in the place i mentioned own horses too. a huge luxury. :P

• @Your_boss960 In yur question and question description yu never said nything about where you live but insted made a generalized statemnt

• Nope, and I don't know where you would get this idea as millions do every day regardless of income. For example, I own a car but when I go to Chicago, I take the train and use public transportation because I'd rather not deal with traffic and one way streets.

• In fact when I move to Chicago eventually, I'll get rid of my car because public transportation is very reliable and gas is expensive as fuck as well as parking and having a parking sticker for your vehicle.

• is this a troll attempt?

• No it's not.

• I agree with noneoftheabove. If Your_boss960 would have reworded what she asked t might not have seem like she was talking about everyone in the world who walks. She said Personally I think that walking on the sidewalk makes people look poor. It means they don't have a car or a driver. That made me think she was talking about everyone in every city.

• travelled a lot,
      don't need to live there to know ignorance is deeming people poor for not driving @Gagmosthated

• Maybe in Qatar.

But everywhere else, it's simply a norm. I just see someone walking not their financial status lol

• that's reason why i always walk in the middle of the road

• You have got to be kidding. So if some is walking their dog on the side walk you think they are poor. If someone is out for a walk they are poor go you. I guess a lot of people must be poor where I live according to you because a lot of people including myself love to go for walks.

• stop mentioning me. In almost every opinion

• no lol. the sidewalks were made for walking on for everybody...

• No, I jog on the sidewalk for exercise Many people walk as there too lazy to run. I also walk because there no need to use my car if my friends house is two blocks away.

• Nope lol some of us like walking sometimes. Ugh but some of my friends and other people agree with ya and drive by thinking I'm broke or that I've got no gas even though I've got a car and gas in the tank I just prefer walking within my neighborhood. I'm usually on a snack run with my earphones on while my mind wonders.. then I almost get clipped by a car I didn't see coming.

• Many older cities in the US and most cities in Europe were built before cars were invented, which can make it a nightmare to own a car there (Boston, NYC, London, Paris). It's far easier to use public transportation or simply walk. You can walk from one side of Boston to the other easy. Driving? Forget about it.

• I leave this up to the better judgement of our community. Sayonara!!

• In New York City everyone walks on the sidewalk. No one that does it here is poor, and everyone does it so. :).

• Maybe they're just trying to get some exercise, you dolt.

• We are monkeys. We were never supposed to drive cars.
    www.waitwhatpodcast.com/.../...ng-the-car-copy.jpg

• Walking=Poor?
    Something's wrong with your calculations.

• Then that means all those people in NYC are poor,

• Waking into the street makes you look dead.

• In what way?

• Inevitably, lone street explorers will get hit by a car or truck... Can you imagine walking in the street in a large city like mine and NOT being run down? I see pedestrians get taken down by hybrids on the reg... lol
      The idea that you wouldn't use a sidewalk because you perceive side-walkers as poor is ridiculous. That's a personal perception of that particular action not something that would likely be shared by many other people.
      ...

• What do you mean?

• I'd rather walk or skate. I really don't care to get a car

• makes me think they like exercise

• No walking in the street makes you look poor. Whenever you go to the hood there are dumb ass crack heads walking in the middle of 55 mph roads like they don't know what a cross walk is.

• Well what about exercising? Sometimes I run or walk in the side walk

• TIL I learned everyone in every major city is poor.

• More from Guys
    9

What Girls Said 41

• Wow, I guess I'm poor then, even though I'm not and I live within my means. Pretty much everyone here walks or cycles everywhere because it's a city and everything is close by. The sidewalks are always crowded with people. It's also better for the environment - there's already enough pollution here as it is. I have a car but I don't always use it, and many other people don't have cars when they live here because you can just take transit.

Carry on with your privileged spoiled lifestyle.

media0.giphy.com/media/k9XrZaAJuQyMU/200_s.gif

• What kinda of mind set is this?😁😒

• It's the truth.

• You can never be too sure, you know?

• everyone has to walk on the side walk/pavement at some point lol

Imagine you're shopping and you're going to shops and theyre right next to each other on a busy high street. You are hardly gonna drive your car to each shop if they are literally right next to each other... lmao

Hahaha

• Are you fucking kidding me? Lol you're asking if walking makes you look poor? So staying active and healthy makes you look poor rather than filling the ecosystem with unnecessary fuels? Shake your head. Take a stroll through Europe cities, hardly anyone drives. But many Europeans are financially stable. Some people prefer a healthy lifestyle over a poser lifestyle. Besides. Have you ever owned a vehicle! They cost a shit ton to even maintain every year. You're richer if you avoid purchasing a car in the first place.

• No it certainly doesn't. Walking is a choice. Why would you want to drive everywhere when you can walk shorter distances? It's healthy for you, and better for the environment.

And to answer your question directly, I think you're one of very few people to think that, and you're wrong. Even if you have a car, you can still want to walk. My parents have three cars, and they still prefer to walk when they can. I know plenty of millionaires, and walking is definitely considered normal, and healthy. Never look down on people for their lack of wealth. Particularly when you are 15, and haven't earned any of your own wealth.

• no, maybe they just decided to walk to their destination. lol and if you don't have a car it doesn't mean you're poor.

• It kind of does.

• well it don't really matter. . . but I got something for you. How about this?

40.media.tumblr.com/.../...6dqAeo1r2to8go1_500.png

Demons on the beech, pretty good eh?

• @dolphiny I agree with you. @Your_boss960 you seem to take how people in Qatar view things their and make it seem like that is how it is everywhere else in the world. @Your_boss960 are you saying no matter the situation or city you live in you are automatically poor if you do not have a motorized vehicle?

• Not in my country, no.

• You realize you are asking an audience primarily from countries where people don't have drivers, yes? Also, in NYC (which has tons of rich people) almost everyone walks from what I've seen (or takes a cab or the subway). Unless it's a person walking in an area where they look scruffy or ordinary compared to the people around them (like me on Wall Street haha) I don't assume they're poor. Tourists maybe.

I'm sorry - I shouldn't have laughed but this question is so interesting because you can see the huge cultural difference. I understand that in Qatar it might indicate that. Here, no. Many other countries, I doubt it.

• i thought you were being a judgmental cow, until i read that your from qatar, i kinda get where your coming from cause there is a very big difference between the rich and the poor there, if you are rich you will have the big car with AC but if your poorer you will have to walk in the heat
    i guess it's just different where you come from :/

• Sorry but there's a reason sidewalks exist. It's the "safest" place to walk rather than on the road where you can be easily hit by a car. Walking on the sidewalk shouldn't represent a persons social status.

• Are you kidding me? I can't even begin to understand how it would make someone look poor. I think someone looks poor when their clothes are all ragged and dirty and old. And when they look like they haven't showered in some time and when their thin because they're underfed. Not because they are walking on the sidewalk.

• Lol wth?
    I know people who have cars and walk sometimes. Like for example my sister has a job and a car and likes to walk on the side walk to the grocery store. Its near by. Not everyone prefers/likes to drive all the time. That's a horrible assumption. Rich people don't drive everywhere either or poor people. They could just be lazy or have a medical issue. Which happens. Obviously.

• Yeah walking is healthy and sometimes you have to park far away to go somewhere.

• Lol right. Where I live right now it is kind of required because there is no public transportation. But when I go to Chicago I'll probably use public transportation at least until I get a smaller vehicle.

• @onyx277 cars are cleaner too <.<

• WOW! i have never read something so stupid in my entire life, granted, I've only been on this earth 15 years but good god lots of people walk on the sidewalk.. . Sheesh.. this kind of stupidity hopefully isn't contagious, im gonna get off this page so i don't catch it just in case!

• Where are we supposed to walk? In the streets with the cars. Um no. Side walks are made for walkin. If ur that coserned about looking poor then dress like ur a millionaire when u know you'll be walking on one

• So I'm poor because I chose to walk to my NEXT-DOOR neighbor's house instead of driving?

• What?
    Lmao.
    My mom walks and she has 3 cars.
    Plenty of people who walk have cars, it's good exercise.
    Wow.

• haha no it doesn't.

• No, it doesn't make you look poor. It makes you look active.

• Nope, it is normal. Not all of us are rich hot shots.

• Neither is she. Her parents might be but she is poorer than those who are walking.

• True enough. We can only stand idly by and watch crumbling life give way to much-needed epiphany.

• Indeed and the realization is too much for their fragile and pampered mind could take. @Distant

• This statement makes you, look like a judgmental asshole. Walking outside doesn't make someone look poor. O walk outside all the time. Why? Because I like to walk, and prefer to walk somewhere than drive there.

• Haha, no way. True, sometimes they walk to save money. Or because they like being outside, or they like the exercise. I personally enjoy biking to work. Why on earth would that make you look poor? Often times it makes them look smart, as they don't have to get stuck in traffic and they can enjoy the outdoors.

• Why would walking make you look poor? Where is the logic.. Not everyone wants to drive all the time. I have a car but guess what sometimes I walk. Exercise is good after all!

• No, it doesn't. I could be wanting to just walk around the block and get fresh air, doesn't mean I'm poor.

• I bike because I don't have a driver's license yet. Does that make me look poor?

• Hahaha i'm thinking trolling or being extremely stupid... xD

• No. It makes them look like they are exercising. Or going a short distance.

• no if you're dressed with holes, no shoes on, & etc then yes. i walk on the sidewalk to the store because we stay down the road whats the point of wasting gas? & we're far from poor.

• Lol or it's a large city and they had to park their car 5 blocks away to get to their destination.

• I know people with cars that still walk on the sidewalk and having a car or a driver does not mean you are any less poor than a person with a car. I think people that think like you are dumb. Does that make you dumb? Maybe

• It makes you look like your fucking walking. end of story.

• I really wouldn't ask this type of question considering that you live in a different country with a different culture. Society is completely different in every country, so is judgment. But here in the U. S. walking on the sidewalk is perfectly normal, and does not change people views on if you are rich or poor.

• More from Girls
    11