Guys, are the rules of hockey similar to soccer except on ice and with sticks?

Question pretty much says it.. I'm trying to figure out hockey.. Any advice is appreciated.. I understand the objective but get lost with certain rules.. What sport is it comparable to?

7

Most Helpful Guy

• i think it's actually most comparable with basketball, but it is ultimately it's own sport. I'll explain a few things:

Probably the most confusing thing about hockey is "why do they keep stopping play/blowing the whistle?" Probably the two hardest things to understand about hockey are 1) Icing or 2) Offsides.

Icing is hard to explain in words, but easy to show if I could draw it. It's probably easier to explain its purpose than the precise rules. The purpose is to prevent a team being pressured in their own end from clearing it out of their zone to give themselves a break. In the case of an Icing, play is stopped and there is a face-off in the offending team's zone. Teams are not allowed to switch out players when play is stopped due to icing.

Offsides is easier to explain. Basically, the puck has to cross into an offensive zone before any offensive player does. This is to prevent a player from just hanging around the opposition's goaltender waiting for someone to get the puck to him from across the ice (sometimes called "cherry-picking"). The offensive zones are marked by the blue lines.

Two more reasons they stop play that are somewhat rare are a hand pass and high-sticking. A hand pass is exactly what it sounds like. High sticking is when you hit the puck out of the air with your stick.

These two make up ~95% of play stoppages. Most of the other causes of play stoppages are rare enough that they'll explain when it occurs. The most 'exciting' reason for stopping play is a penalty. Again, they'll usually explain the penalty when it occurs. In the event of a penalty, the play isn't stopped until the offending team touches the puck. So, when you see a ref raise his hand to signal a coming penalty, the 'victim' team will go to the bench to get an extra player on the ice (since play will stop when the other team touches the puck, there's no risk of them scoring). Once they touch it, the penalty is usually a 2-minute penalty. The offending team skates with fewer players for 2 minutes (called a "power play"). If the victim team scores in that two minutes, the offending team gets their player back. However, occasionally, if the penalty is severe, they'll get a 5-minute penalty instead, during which it doesn't matter how many times the victim team scores, the offending team remains shorthanded for the whole 5 minutes.

Everything else is fairly straightforward. I'll also mention that the puck is easier to see live.

• Man I wish u could come with me and explain as it goes!! I received season passes for my towns amature team next season and I'm already going to be sitting alone so I'd like to have an idea what'll be going on.

I appreciate your explication. Thank you

• Yeah that's I'm doing lol
      I won them at a car show!!
      I may randomly messege you sometimes if I get new questions if you don't mind.

• sure! hockey is a fun game to talk about.

What Guys Said 6

• Not really. Oceans of difference even though the basic concept is the same. Throw in lacrosse and basketball and handball as well.

• somewot they are... u cannot use yer legs in hockey though :)

• Hockey rules are similar to lacrosse if anything. There are some similarities to soccer but frankly they are different sports mostly.

• Similar,
    Icing is illegal but kicking the ball across the field is legal.

• Not really. Hockey has a lot more rules. If you want I'll explain the rules of hockey to you

• Actually if you wouldn't mind that would be great. I've tried to google it but it's not very easy for me to grasp..

So can only half the guys cover the entire length?

Is it ok to check a player as long as he is in control of the puck?

How are some shots high sticking but other times the wind up isn't pentalized?

• If you have any hockey related questions feel free to message me anytime. Hockey is sort of my specialty lol

• Thank you so much I just want to understand the sport before I go watch the games lol

• They're kinda close, but as someone said, it's closer to lacrosse.