Why do people feel the need to label themselves as straight edge?

I don't care if a person doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs but I don't get why they feel the need to label themselves straight edge as if that defines them. I smoke weed every day but don't label myself a stoner nor do I wear shirts saying I drink because I really like craft beer. I'm just saying because there's tons of people that don't drink, smoke, etc that don't label themselves as straight edge. Basically you're defining yourself by what others do.

The singer of Minor Threat, Ian Mackay, started the whole straight edge idea but it wasn't meant to become a movement like it is today, just a personal choice.

34

Most Helpful Girl

• Well the moment you make it a thing and slap a name on it, you've decided to make it a thing. Whether it's just among your friend or the whole world, you've made it a thing.
    And it's fine to wear shirts about it because it's something that represent you. Everything you do or say defines you in some way. So drinking every day does define you, not ever drinking defines you: but whether that's good or bad it doesn't say.
    So if you wear a shirt that talks about something you do your kind if putting yourself and what you support out there. So I'm a vegan an I have a vegan shirt. To start it's a great conversation starter. It raises awareness about something that I care about. I'm not saying people have I do it, but someone may read my shirt and look into Bahamian and decide it's something that they're really interested in. So really I'm just informing people about something they may possibly enjoy. So then wearing straight edge shirts could just be a way for them to let people lean about it

What Girls Said 2

• Some people like feeling that they belong somewhere. I think that's the main reason.

• CM Punk says "I'm straight edge which means I don't drink, don't smoke, or do any drugs, which means I am better than you!" I fucken miss that guy in the wwe

• I haven't followed WWE since stone cold was in his prime. It was still WWF at the time.

• Those were the days! Attitude era baby! They now have all the old raw episode on the wwe network 😉

What Guys Said 4

• It just a way of same it is cool to be strait laced as a response to the cool portrayal of partying on TV or in Movies.

• *Saying it is cool

• Which is funny because underage drinking and drugs was society's way of rebellion and it seems like being straight edge is being rebellious towards rebellion lol.

• Fair point probably a full circle type of thing.

• Because people like to make other people question themselves and feel inferior...

Frankly, if you've never tried drugs, wow... You've missed out... Not saying they should be endorsed but cmon...
    Drinking can be fun...
    Smoking used to be fun... So I can see the draw people have to it.

It's a level or narcissism, I think.

• Thats CM Punk that says that I dont either but I dont call myself straight Edge

• hahahah no... personally i dont mind about people who drink/smoke, etc... it's their life 8)

• Right as long as they're not hurting others or themselves then I don't see what the problem is.

• I heard if this one gang called fuck shit up and basically they are arrogant straight edge people that beat the shit out of people for smoking a cigarette or having a beer. That's worse than people peer pressuring others into smoking, drinking and drugs in my opinion.