OMG! Just found out they don't celebrate Thanksgiving or July 4th in britian or Europe . Anyone else think thats a bit strange? Why don't they do it?

Was speaking to a British person at work today and he told me that they don't celebrate Thanksgiving. I was totally shocked because that must suck for Brits missing out on all the great food, football and electronic sales that makes Thanksgiving such a great holiday. I think every country should celebrate it and I get the impression that Europe is being kind of ignorant not wanting to celebrate it possibly because they think they are better than America. I don't know what do u think?

But then the British guy said that they don't celebrate July 4 either. To be honest I had never actually thought about that but I guess I was under the impression that other countries celebrated it, especially Europe . Like I know July 4th is an American holiday but I thought over countries might celebrate it too because well... we are America. So its kind of an important holiday, kind of like Christmas or presidents day. And whats not to love about fireworks? Don't tell me euoropeans are firework Nazi's lol

Come to think of it, do they celebrate Christmas in britian? I've never actually heard of a British person celebrating Christmas ever but I'm sure they do it in Europe don't they? I'm just glad I live in America because we are blessed with so many great holidays that the rest of the world are denied! Be thankful ppl!

Thanks
Randy

Most Helpful Girl

• Why would the UK celebrate 4th of July in the first place? They weren't trying to secede from another country. Thanksgiving and Halloween doesn't get celebrated in a lot of places either Germany and Australia don't celebrate them either. The world isn't America. Teachers and schools really need to put this back in their lesson plans. Other countries aren't denied them their governments just don't feel the need to recognize or celebrate them especially being that all those countries being more eastern they celebrate whatever is more in line with population demographics also what events have more influenced and/or shaped a country's history. Muricans no wonder why a lot of countries find us to be obnoxious.

• Who would celebrate Thanksgiving anyway? Unless you're a heathen that enjoys the idea of slaughtering Natives. Sickening.

• You are talking complete trash! Why would I go back to Europe when I have never come from there. I am an American citizen and so are all my family who have thought and bled for this country for thousands of years. Unlike indians who claim to be American but come from India, I can claim to be a pure American because i am. I know my family history I have had it explained to me. Before my ancestors arrived in Tennesse they came across the sea from Island. I'm not sure which one but I think it was Rhode island.

• The trolling is so real... I assure you I don't trash talk. We're talking about native people and how redundant and stupid it is to say Native American, when they're American. East Indian people are American if they're born here unless they change their nationalism. If I weren't a Moor I'd be American bc I was born here and I have native ancestory. And Thanksgiving is a blasphemous holiday and sick to celebrate bc it's glorifying and celebrating the slaughter of people.

What Girls Said 12

• Sorry, not to sound condescending but why would they? Like wouldn't it be vain of us to expect other countries to celebrate/acknowledge our national holidays?

• you shouldn't celebrate Thanksgiving either it celebrates genocide and colonialism

• I don't see how eating turkey and watching football has anything to do with gencide or colonialism. What does that even mean lol

• @SweetCaroline17 a 'time of peace' between imperialists and the people they are executing and enslaving in their thousands, sure

• Sorry! I try not to argue with idiots.

• How are people like you alive. Thanksgiving is an American HOLIDAY. it was when American settlers and had a big dinner with American INDIANS. And the 4th of July is when AMERICA GOT ITS FREEDOM! No Britain involved here. These are Amercan holidays. Have you ever been in a classroom in your life?

• didn't Christmas start off in israel but now the rest of the world celebrates it. I don't see why it should be any different with other countries celebrating our American holidays. America does so much for other countries around the world and it would be a nice sign of respect from them to follow our traditions. Thats all I'm saying

• What does troll mean? I don't even understand the insult which kind of means it doesn't work stupid. I just signed up on here to get some answers for my question. didn't relise everyone was so rude otherwise i wouldn't of bothered.

• I rest my case.

• What a well written bullshit post, good effort!

We have our own fireworks holiday and it's way better than your 4th of July (which isn't even the day you gained independence anyway!). We have Guy Fawkes night where we celebrate the brutal disembowelment of a political activist and his foiled plan to blow up the government... dude had the right idea.

• Why the heck would other countries celebrate American holidays?
    Holidays are nothing but 100% commercialized wastes of time anyway.

• I don't think the birth of Christ is a commercialized waste of time...

• @SweetCaroline17 Christmas is a pagan holiday adopted by Christians to make people take to Christianity more easily. Based on data it is assumed Jesus was born around September time... so yeah, it is a commercialisation of a traditional Winter Equinox festival. Nothing to do with some dude in the middle east.

• It may be commercialized to you, but to the people with believe in Jesus, we recognize the importance of it.

• Those are American holidays, so it wouldn't make sense to celebrate them in other countries. Our independence isn't relevant to them.

• Why would they celebrate July fourth because that was the day if American independence from Britain. And the pilgrims were a group that left Britain for America, so I don't see why they'd celebrate that either

• Lol Only the US celebrates the 4th of July. Why would other people celebrate it. It's just about the American history..

• But Thanksgiving is about family and being grateful. europeans and brits oviously don't care tho or there ignorant

• So you speak French as your first language, yeah?

• I'm not answering you anymore

• Another example of someone believes the world revolves around the US.

• No surprise there really. July 4th is a U. S. holiday & Thanksgiving is a U. S & a Canadian holiday.

• July 4th is the American Independence Day, why would any other country celebrate it……?

• Because we are America. We are the greatest country in the world and certainly the most powerful. I think other countries should respect us by celebrating the Independence Day of the best country in the world :)

• Yeah, no, everyone hates America.

• it is strange.

• It isn't other countries thoughts that they are denied the chance to celebrate holidays by their governments. Russians are probably sat at home watching Macy's parade on tv or July 4th fireworks wishing they were American lol

What Guys Said 8

• personally i don't celebrate any special days LOL

pointless mo :)

• Actually, a Brit friend on mine teased me that they did celebrate the 4th of July as that was when they got rid of us :) he also told me we were just a rebellious colony.

I told him that they queen is nothing more than a tourist attraction now, kinda like Micky Mouse... That one really hit home, he was pissed :)

• Just a text, so I could block you.
    Administration should allow block without this useless typing.

• We're so sorry :( Not everything has to revolve around America!

We have Easter though... 5th November... St. George's Day... and other exciting events.

You're an obvious troll though.

• Just to expand on that. Asia, Africa, Australia, South America, Central America and Antarctica doesn't celebrated 4th of July. Only USA.

• you're just taking the piss now you can't be the silly to think we would celebrate American public holidays?
    Do you celebrate British or English public holiday?

• Troll fail

• July 4th is US' independence day, a day when britain finally got the fuck out of there, why would they celebrate losing their colony