Chivalry Wasted On Women Now A Day's?

Here's one for you ladies... do you like chivalrous men anymore? Or are men wasting their time and effort with chivalry?

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on what you mean by chivalry. Holding the door is good manners. I appreciate it when a dude makes the first move because I'm shy. Standing until I'm seated is cute for a really formal date (especially a first date), but a bit much the rest of the time. I can order my own meals and pay for my own food/movie tickets -having the guy take care of things makes me feel on some level like he's trying to build up some sort of debt. Walking on the outside of the street is ridiculous -he has to move around me if we ever turn left, which is disconcerting, and it puts me in a position where I can feel trapped between him and a wall.

What Girls Said 9

• I think that people should be courteous toward each other. For example, I open/hold doors for people all the time, or offer them a hand if they look like they need help. Men and women.

In terms of dating and relationships---if you like someone, you should show it by doing nice things for them. Some of the things you might do may be things traditionally considered to be "chivalrous", but I think that it should be a two way street and the things you do to show someone you care don't necessarily have to be gendered.

There are some chivalrous behaviours that I think are a bit over-the-top and unnecessary. For example, I've never had a guy pull out my chair for me, but it's not really something I need or want a guy to do either.

• Yes, I do. I love gentlemen. It's sad there are only few chivalrous guys nowadays

• chivalry is too damn rare to find these days

• So it isn't wasted then in your opinion

• nope its not.. as long as its with the right type of women

• i love a chivalrous man <3 I don't know where they at tho.

• Chivalry is always welcome. Such hard thing to find today tho.

• Chivalry is not wasted.

• You want to win a girl's heart? Make her feel safe!

• Safe and respected, yes. A guy you can trust is the best.

• I thought it was dead, but almost every guy I've dated has treated me with some amount of chivalry. Holding the door, pulling out my chair, giving me his jacket when it's cold, opening my car door for me, etc. all kinds of things. It's sweet and appreciated.

• It makes me feel weird. I mean obviously I want guys to treat me nicely, but to me chivalry kinda implies putting girls on a pedestal and/or seeing us as more vulnerable or whatever than guys, which is uncomfortable to me. Stuff like pulling out my seat for me to sit down or whatever just feels overly formal and unnatural

• It's really less about putting you on a pedestal and treating you like a delicate flower, and more about setting ourselves apart from the droves of doltish males out there.

• I don't like to think of guys that way though? Some guys are doltish sure, and some girls are doltish, and some non binary individuals are doltish, etc. I'm not keen on the gendered generalisations because in my opinion they're unfounded

What Guys Said 5

• Chivalry has gotten me far.

• Chivalry has for me too. Read an article that said Chivalry is dead and that women now a days don't look for that in a man. I don't believe that but thought I'd ask.

• Chivalry is never wasted my friend, if other women or people don't like it that's fine, but it's never wasted you still stand as a testament a standard to others. But Chivalry never was and still is not about appeasing others or caring what they think it's about personal standard, etiquette and honor.

• Chivalry won't get you laid or a g/f, but its good to be chivalrous to everyone.

• Yep. It is

• Every girlfriend I've ever had (including more than one hardcore feminist) has enjoyed that I act like a gentleman in general, so experience tells me yes.

I've never had a woman tell me "I can open my own doors, thanks" - and if I did, I'd educate her on the nature of feminism in general.