So I found a rabbit's burrow in grandma's backyard, will the mother reject if you touch the babies?

We were visiting them like 2 days ago. My brother was mowing their lawn for them and he almost killed them because he did not see them and the bunnies were walking on the lawn whilst he was mowing it. they are basically newborn babies. Their eyes are closed. That would have extremely tragic we are both huge animal lovers. Me in especially I hate animal cruelty. But anyways he touched one to take a picture. I pray to god the mother doesn't reject them. I read the mom only stays with her babies for a few minutes a day. But still I hope they are rejected when a human touches them. I will try to post a pic via my laptop. They are so freaking adorable no I am not going have to have a wild rabbit in the house when it is a wild animal plus I own a cat! A kit would not survive. I am visiting tomorrow to check up on them to see if they are alright.

Most Helpful Girl

• Relax, tiredofwaiting, I just read online here, dear, that it is a Myth that if you touch the baby rabbits the mother will reject them. It seems she does only come back a few minutes a day to to feed them and then hops off.
    I know, however, for my grandmother used to tell me that if you touch a baby bird, the mother will eat them or throw them out of the nest.
    Good luck today. xx

• Thank you, tiredofwaiting, glad to oblige and you have showed me a bit of nature myself by doing some investigation work here, dear.. hope everything is okay down the bunny trail.:)) xxoo

• Unfortuately due to my curiousity as well as my bro's. We both touched them and the mom did abandon them. I was in tears when I found the nest.

• Oh, wow, sweetie, I am so sorry... then I guess it is true like the birds deal which isn't an old wive;s tale, that they will leave them.. perhaps being touched more than once? Now what will you do? Can you call someone who deals with wild life to lend a helping hand? I once helped a wounded pigeon and called someone who dealt with wild life birds to assist me and take him off of my hands. xx

What Guys Said 2

• We had them in our yard too, I never touched them of fear that the mom would abandon them but I honestly don't know how true that is. It was so difficult not too, especially when they were so ridiculously cute and just hoping around.

• I honestly don't know, but I imagine that nothing good can really come from touching them.

From here on out, your brother (who I'm sure didn't know better) can admire from a distance. :)

What Girls Said 7

• I believe there's a possibility but if he touched it lightly and briefly, it may not be a problem. If you or someone else wants to touch/move them, I suggest you wear some gloves. If she does reject them and you're 100% sure she has, contact a shelter or animal charity that can take them in to be looked after and re-homed when they're old enough.

• Yes the mother will stop caring for it because they'll pick up your scent and she won't believe they're hers.

• don't touch the babies please!

• www.reddoorshelter.org/wildlife_rescue_info.html

That's a myth thankfully!
    But let the mom do her thang. I wouldn't interfere. Just make sure no one bothers them.

• Well that's a shame, your friend might have ruined a good thing. If you guys love animals at the very least you should know how to respect them and their boundaries.

• Lol I said brother. And he interfered not me but with good reason he almost killed the family when he was mowing the lawn. He wanted to make sure they were alright but I agree he did not have to touch them whilst it is the mother's job to look after her kits.

• Yeah don't touch the babies unless you want to give them a death sentence.

• They will not, just make sure he doesn't handle them anymore.
    rabbits are used to the smell of other animals and humans around so it doesn't bother them. But they are very fragile and should be left alone