In court, why do they ask if you swear to tell the truth? If you're planning on lying, do they really think you'll tell them so?

Most Helpful Guy

• its protocol lol. and they have to at least say it once so that if you did lie and it was proven later then they can charge you.

What Girls Said 2

• Lol I always thought this xD

• It's a formality to strengthen a perjury case.

What Guys Said 4

• So that when you're lying, the court has the right to call God's righteous wrath to smite you.

• You do this because it reflects your character. If someone says: "I swear to tell the truth" and then lies about it, he WILL feel guilty and have interpersonal relationship problems afterward. When you say something, your mind thinks it whether or not you believe in it. And when you lie about it, it sets up a contradiction in your mind that practically affects everything else. So you lose even more in the long run especially if they find out (which isn't that hard).

• So if you get caught lying, they have a slam dunk perjury charge against you.

• lol, it's tradition I suppose, it doesn't safeguard against lies.