What the hell am I doing wrong?

So I have been job searching for almost 2 months now ever since I finished school. I am trying to go from fast food to retail. As everyone always told me when you go to a job interview you need to "dress to impress" but now the whole idea of that has changed I was taught to dress professional and that is what I always do but I find other people who come dressed bummy having better luck then me. I have decent customer service experience, always bring my resume, cover letter and 3 refrences with me. My speach is decent i am educated and I try to stand out of the crowed while explaining why I want to work their and still I have trouble getting the job. I always smile and keep eye contact and show them I am very happy to be their. I applied for forever 21 and they hired 2 girls who were laughing at other peoples responses in a group interview and a girl who said customers come last. Seriously? It's customer service customers ALWAYS come first ! I've done a lot of online applications and every call I got for an interview always ended their. their is only 2 interviews that I know the reason I didn't get it. The first was cause I showed up with pink eye and i'm guessing they thought I was high. They didn't say that but I saw it in their faces, I didn't want to miss the shot at the interview and wanted to show them even though I am sick I am still showing up and that didn't work. My presentation was educational and flawless and I know for a fact if I didn't have pink eye I would have been hired already and the second one I know I messed up on I was stressed that no one was hiring me and was beginning to lose hope that I slipped up without noticing. I see no mess up's on any other interview so I'm starting to feel that their is something wrong with me that they aren't hiring me. My older sister has a great resume and told me that it happened to her too, she had to wait 3 months before getting a job. I know that is supposed to make me feel better but it isn't.

Most Helpful Guy

• Coming from experience I've been there and i know what it feels like. I remember quitting my job in 2005 cause they wouldn't give me the holiday i needed off. Anyway when i came back from holiday and i couldnt get work at all. i tried everywhere and got a number of interviews but i never got a phone call back saying id been successful. eventually i got a temporary job over the Christmas period of 2005 and i thought they might keep me on but they didn't they let me go. Then i was jobless again. As you can imagine i struggled again. 3 months after that in 2006 i just happened to hand my cv in back at the same place and i got permanent position which was good cause i needed to get work before i went to uni.

Moving on, in 2009 i failed a module at uni so i had to take a year out and re do that module to pass second year. It was really hard cause it meant i had to go through the shit again of looking for work. i remember i tried this place twice and never got in both times. I think it was down to a lack of confidence. eventually got a job at this book store which was temporary although it could lead to a permanent position. that place went bust just before Christmas and they were planning on taking me on on a permanent basis. As you can imagine back to square one again and this time i didn't have a job for 8 months before i went back to uni to finish off my final year. That was the longest time of my life And it was hell not gonna lie. You just feel worthless it destroys your self confidence and you dont even want to get out of bed in the morning.

i look back and think at times it was the way i came across. I had a lack of confidence with some interviews and i was really nervous so i couldnt show my true self. In your case i think its hard to say you might have all the experience in the world for a certain position but there might be someone better suited to it.

Sometimes its nothing personal its just the employers think one individual is just better suited. Despite how they were coming across even if theyre laughing or joking.

I say dont give up, keep perservering, and show your true self. A job will come when the timings right.

What Guys Said 4

• I say just keep your head up do the do diligence of research and keep trying. The Job you settle for may be the worst job ever and the job you want may suck even worse. Furthermore you may think your aren't qualified but land the best job ever. I mean everyone goes through it and it sucks but all you can do is continue to try

• changing roles is never easy, i presume you research the company well?

• research on a company how? most places I applied to is cause I am a buyer their or just pop in a lot

• via the web, talking to existing staff.. having passion and doing your research is critical even for low paid roles.. i would never hire anyone who displayed no research or knew nothing on company

• Most stores I already knew things on and the interview at forever 21 was an open interview and they didn't even take resume's until after they had already chosen who to hire or not.

• I know people who get hired because they are good with people and in fact some of them are inept buffoons that couldn't find the full Moon with a compass. Concerning the pinkeye, I think if anything weird like that happens again you should seek medical attention and get a note that you could show, and if you REALLY had to, lie that it was spread by your relative. But seriously, would you really want to work for someone so ignorant they thought that pinkeye and getting high/hangover of high looks the same?

• im done with jobs like that anymore there not for me sometimes its not for you trust me

What Girls Said 2

• Those girls probably only went to an interview as a formality.

Most likely it was already agreed because they know the manager that they would be hired. Or the hiring manager judged the candidate by what they saw on paper not what the interviewer told the manager

I'm guessing they had a interview with the actual hiring manager and not the manager that interviewed them.

I have seen that happen countless of times. People who don't really make an effort getting hired
    It also has to do with body language and personality

I use to think I was doing something wrong to during a job interview and I assumed it was my clothes so I changed my look but I still was not getting hired.

I think it has to do with a certain personality they are looking for during interviews. Also in retail especially during the holiday season October-January you are expected to have open availability.

I do not mean that they will make you work every day I mean you are expected to work on Sundays and expected to work late if need be.

• it's okay girl. that happens to almost everyone.