Mom hates my music. What do I do?

I listen to a lot of heavy metal, rock, and screamo music, my mom calls it "cutter music" she thinks it's satanic and that I need to listen to better music, funny thing she used to listen to that EXACT same music, now she listens to just country, my dad is accepting of his and so are both my older brothers accept it but my mom does not.. What can I do? That music is the reason why I'm 300 days clean from self harm, those bands SAVED ME. How can I get her to realize that? :(

Most Helpful Guy

• use headphones then... so u won't annoy her ;)

• I do use headphones but sometimes I like to play it out loud like when I'm cleaning my room or something, and she always says "UGH WHAT IS THAT CRAP?"

• then play it when she's not home ;)

What Guys Said 10

• Let her know your music saved you. If I had a kid and they told me that somehow Young Thug and Chief Keef saved his life... I'd make sure my kid was front row at all their shows around my city.

• Yep, use headphones.

• I think if your doing good and the music isn't making you think bad,
    or engage in wrongful behavior i support that you should listen to the
    music that you like.

• That's because she knows how bad it is for you. She was lucky she escaped the devil grips and now is trying to help you before it's too late...

Just kidding. I don't like that music either but she shouldn't be insulting her own kid over what music she likes. Everyone is their own person

• well ask my entire family :D I listen to EDM with my subwoofer system.. everitim they come in and ask me to stop the horrible "computer-music"

• Um, did you talk to her about it? Just make a very good argument backed up by logic and reason so she gives up.

• She doesn't listen to me when I talk to her...

• hmm... Then don't listen to her when she talks to you. If she notices it, make sure you let her know that she doesn't listen when you speak to her.

• Actually, turn it up louder when she notices the music.

• Its the story of every teenager. Nothing can or will change.

• Heavy metal listeners are more intelligent. True story.

• Thank you. That made me smile. I may listen to heavy metal but I still manage to get straight A's and B's and get honor roll in school.

• Heavy metal listeners are, not screamo listeners. Big difference.

• I hate screamo. Can't you find something else?

• ur moms right it is satanic just listening to that music will give you plenty of emotional issues and im talking from experience now here's my question do you wanna be angry? cause the more you listen too it the more EMO u will become

What Girls Said 3

• Did you explain this to her? Did you do research on the bands you like, like how decent people they are, how they treat other people, their beliefs etc? Do you know the lyrics of some of the songs you listen to? If your favorite singers lead a good life and the songs you listen to, have meaningfull lyrics, there is no reason for your mother to worry.

• The music is specifically for helping people with depression and the message in all their songs is ( you can get through the anything your stronger than you think)

• show those lyrics to your mother then

• and explain to her that you feel empowered by those songs

• Use earbuds. No one's obliged to listen to the same crap you do.

• Wear earphones.