Why do I feel so drawn to my Irish heritage?

I have several different nationalities that make up my heritage. However, I feel especially drawn to my Irish heritage. Does anyone else have this experience with a particular part of their heritage? I did not grow up discussing or talking about this part of my heritage in particular. And my ancestors came over during the famine, so obviously I didn't talk to them directly! perhaps it is something on a mystical level.

Lastly, my family comes from Galway. I have very very dark almost black hair. Many people don't believe I'm Irish as they say Irish people have only red for blonde hair! However when I visited Ireland there were other people like me with dark hair, particularly in the west and south of Ireland. Do you know why this Is?

Most Helpful Guy

• Ireland is a mish mash of races - It has been invaded several times you will have druids, celts, vikings, normans,
    anglo-saxon, scotish presbyterians in the mix

• thank you so much for this awesome answer. I assume this is what you attribute the hair color difference too. At any rate, any thoughts on why I might be so drawn to my Irish heritage? Again it did not play a central role in my upbringing. I think it may be something mystical, and I'm told that Irish people are kind of drawn to that too. I'm told there is something called the" thin places." Any idea what that is? of course, I know that being drawn to one part of your heritage could be a possibility for someone of any background... just curious about mine.

What Guys Said 3

• hahaha is this a joke? there r tons of irish people with brown/black hair ;)

• no this is not a joke! The questions I said men here are always serious. If you read the question carefully, I noted that I did see people in the south and west of Ireland with dark hair. My question was, why is there such a difference between what I saw in that part of the country and other parts of the country where people had red and blonde hair.

• It's my understanding that the Irish are a very mystical people, especially amongst the country folk, who are very emotional and believe in fairies.

• your not irish i assure you

What Girls Said 2

• I, too, have a wide mix. For some reason Irish and English have always fascinated me, even though they are a small % of who I am. I love all of my different ones, but if I had to pick a place to visit and try to learn more about where my ancestors came from, I'd pick Ireland or the UK. :)

I know a full blooded Irish woman, lovely lady by the way.. and she has super dark hair. She said her village are all brunettes, no one there is a redhead. I think maybe people just assume that? But not all have red or fair hair. :)

• You should be proud of it!