Would joining a sorority help me be more responsible?

`I recently got into my university of choice and I really didn't think I would! I did badly in high school because I was very depressed and that made me procrastinate and not really care. I ended up pulling my act together a bit more in grade 12 and pulled my marks up quite considerably. There were points where my friends were dropping out left and right and I almost gave up too. Then I found new friends by getting involved in drama and school plays and they were all very driven and goal oriented which is the opposite of my old friends. I find that I have very little self discipline and time management skills and it eats me up inside and makes me feel so guilty! I can be such a slacker!!
There is a soroity at my new school I am going to in the fall and they force you to complete study hours if your GPA is lower, assign you a "big sister" who also shares your major to help you, force you to do charity work to build your resume, and hold social events. It isn't as shallow as American sororities there is no dress code or certain look you have to have and you don't have to pay money to be in it. Do you think this would be a good way to develop some self discipline and time management and help me with some personal improvement? I want to be a more responsible and eventually successful person through University and I don't want to waste all that time and money! I feel like I need people who will kick my ass into shape so to speak but also support me.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in a sorority and I love it!
    My sorority has a GPA requirement which makes me motivated to do better than I'd normally do in school. We have study hours as well.
    Also helped me gain leadership skills, which helps me a lot considering I'm very shy lol.

What Guys Said 5

• It can, for sure. You'll want to find one that lines up with your interests and work ethic though, there is quite a lot of variety between them. And different chapters of the same sorority can be different at different campuses. Most of my best friends to this day are people I knew from the fraternity and sorority days. They can produce some awesome people Some not so awesome people too, but society as a whole does that as well.

You will want to make sure that you get lined up with a big sister that has strong study habits though. Yes, they help with studying, and they participate in charity work, but they also are very active socially. So if you have poor time management skills it can become a problem as you will suddenly find you have more options of things to do than time to do them in. And that's where a big sister with solid study habits can really help.

Don't think of them as a mechanic that will fix all your problems. Think of them as a toolbox that you can use to fix your problems yourself. They will only work if you use them though. It's not a magic bean.

• yeah I get that it's all on me same with when I had to pull myself out of my bad grades in highschool but I found having driven responsible friends encouraged me to be the same way and if I never found those new friends my old ones would have dragged me down with them! I think who you surround yourself with effects how you behave somewhat. I just want to be around encouraging successful people.

• Yeah, for sure. You'll be able to find people like that in a sorority, absolutely. When you RUSH, make sure you actually pay attention to the different people in the different sororities though. Don't just pick the first one, find one that really fits you. Find one that gives you a good vibe, that has people that you think will inspire you.

• No, it will help you become more irresponsible. Joining a sorority is the worst thing that you can do for growing up because it helps keep you immature and bitchy and living a life of constant drama, when you should be serious and studying given all the money you and your parents are spending on you going to college.

If I had a kid who wanted to join a fraternity or sorority, I'd say "Good luck! You're paying for all your college bills yourself now. Feel free to move all your stuff out of my house too and move it into your frat/sorority house. Congrats! You are on your own now and about to become a real adult!"

• Canadian sororities are waaay different than American ones, they don't party a lot and focus on academics it's basically more like a tutoring program with fundraisers and volunteering.

• Don't generalize American sororities. Not every college or university is what you see on TV.

Yes, being in a sorority will probably help you, depending on the sorority. If you were able to improve yourself in high school you won't be wasting your time being in the sorority. In the worst case scenario, you wouldn't be any worse off than if you didn't join.

• hmmm yes.. but sound kinda oppressing in my opinion :/

• I think I need that strictness though. It's like tough love I guess.

• I know quite a few sorority girls and they aren't exactly what you'd call responsible so probably not but honestly at your age you shouldn't need anyone else's help to be responsible

• most 19 year olds are not perfect adults yet

• I'm 18 and I've never needed someone else's help to do any of the stuff you talked about but I guess everyone is different. I do those things because I know that's what I have to do to get where I want to be in life.

What Girls Said 2

• Well, from the way you described it, yes, I think it would be a great thing for you to do. It sounds like it would help you stay focused and motivated to do well in school which is always a good thing. It could greatly improve your self development and responsibility. Another plus is that it would help you make new friends which may make the transition process from high school to your university much easier. So yes, I think it sounds like an all around good idea :)

• Dang if it doesn't cost anything I would do it. It's SUPER expensive here. And the "legacies" get first dibs on the ones you want so there's not that many spots left for the rest of us.

• dang that sucks! I thought they were all free until like a year ago hahaha