Do you think the block function is often misused?

I mean. When someone is really mean to you I think you have the right to block that person. But I notice many people doing it just because you have a civil disagreement and I find that rather weird. Like, grow some thicker skin, yo!

• Yeah: People often do it to shutdown disagreements
  • No: If someone wants to block you for an arbitrary reason they should be able to
  • Other: The block feature itself should be re-designed to be more forgiving
Honestly I'm just glad other websites aren't this destructive with their blocking measures. You just can't truly solve differences by walking away. Just agree to disagree and live on.

Most Helpful Girl

• If someone wants to be a baby because they can't come up with a better argument that's their issue. You know you still won :D

I'd rather deal with kids who can't handle the heat than take away a tool from someone being harassed any day. Since that's who the function is really there for.

• Good point. But I mostly believe that the block function as it is implemented now is too strict. Especially when you got blocked by the one asking a question it blocks you from the entire thread. You can't even respond to opinions from different people anymore.

And for me it's not really about winning the argument, though.

• Being a jerk is subjective though. Just because you don't feel like you would block someone for reason X doesn't mean that the person who did shouldn't too? I think we can agree that would be a ridiculous standard. You have to accept that other people have a right to control their online experience.

• Yeap, agreed. Better than solving our differences by effectively muting one another at least. :)

What Girls Said 6

• the block feature here is perfect, in my opinion. I have never seen another website implement a block feature better than this website has. Other websites need to look to this one as an example; I really mean that.

• Perfect to stop harassment maybe. But certainly not perfect if you simply disagreed with someone since it blocks you from any future question that person my ask. And not only that, it also blocks you from messaging (no chance of mending things) as well as responding to other users in the question. The latter I find truly asinine.

• If you're going to brush it off with a "who cares lmao" then I wonder why you responded in the first place. You're right that there is no shortage of people but that really doesn't have anything to do with my question.

• I think i am gonna employ that rlly good block feature -.-

• It often is.

• Honestly, people can/should block others for any reason they see fit.

• Maybe from a Freedom Of Speech point of view I guess. But I think it's too harsh in certain ways.

• I understand it can be frustrating, but unless G@G changes the blocking feature, people are going to use it how they see fit.

• Yeap, very true.

• I normally only block people when I am being sexually harassed or hit on when I tell them to stop.

• Yeah, you get blocked for saying the truth.

• Pretty much is that what I believe too. I can be opinionated at times, but rude? Nah. No need to be rude.

• Yeah. Only needed when someone is being really nasty.

What Guys Said 5

• The block button is always "mis-used" here; people block other users for the most frivolous reasons.

• I'm here to give and receive unfiltered opinions. I've never blocked or been blocked to my knowledge.
    That said, G@G users need to remain civil or expect to be blocked.

• Indeed. But still I think it would be better to report it and move on. Instead of letting it get to you so much that you resort to blocking. Just my opinion.

• I disagree with you here, Asker. Why deal with someone when you don't have to?

• @Prof_Don Well, you did say that people use the block button for the most frivolous of reasons. That's bad, in my opinion. But it can't be helped.

• I block people here for the sake of not having an argument.

There are so many opinions that cone across as poorly written/misguided that I block the person so I can't comment on it.

I'm really just preventing myself from starting pointless arguments by clicking people that I don't agree with. Saves me a lot of time and energy

• I can understand that, yeah. But I think sometimes you gotta accept that not all people agree and all. Haha, not wanting to start an argument though ;)

• I wasted your time.

that's good enough for me...

I made you click again...8D

• blocked!

• i hate when they ask you a question and when you respond, you discover that you've been blocked.

• Heh... Especially after you've typed out a long-winded and informative reply! Some kind of indicator that you've been blocked by the user that you could see *before* you post would have been better.

• haha it is definitetly. i voted a, as soon as i saw it made me think of someone here called hypertrophic or something who always uses block when s/he is losing an argument