If someone is deaf what language are there thoughts?

Its a question I offended wonderd (._.)

Most Helpful Girl

• it's a pretty interesting question actually! I found an article about it here

www.todayifoundout.com/.../

it seems to be mostly sign language, according to the above. The article goes into some of the history of deaf & hard of hearing people in relationship to medicine (which has not always been a good one unfortunately... :( ) anyway yea

What Guys Said 10

• depends whether they were born deaf or if it happened to them later in life. If they had learned a spoken language before going deaf, they think in the language they knew. If they were deaf from birth or early childhood, they think typically in their sign language.

There are multiple sign languages, and they are complete languages, not stand-ins for spoken language.

• what? Sign language? Nice username by the way. You a fan of Pacquiao by any chance? Lolz do I even need to ask?

• But you know that voice in your head what language is it? & why yes yes I am :) and haha no 😊

• Your question seemed rhetorical, but the answer is kind of obvious. We think in the communication style that is most familiar to us. My wife is Mexican and I know she thinks in Spanish. This is because she learned that language. What language did the deaf person learn? if they have always been deaf, then how can they think with a mental voice?

• Hmmm never thought about that thanks @turnemnburnem

• It's probably visual. Flashes of images, that's how they relate to the world, so I would assume that they have the same.

• Wow, that's deep... I would say that they would be thinking in concepts much the same way that everyone else does. Only when I'm writing something down do I actually form words in my head, including reviewing spelling, grammar and the like.

• My hey must picture the hand signing , I'm guessing...
    But that seems logical.

• who knows?

• Good question.

• Images and sign language

• I don't think they even use words. I myself don't use words, and I can hear fine.

• That's a great question. Hmmm what are they saying in a movie without subtitles?

I once was asked to describe sound to a deaf woman. I don't know sign language so we were passing notes back and forth.

That was one of the toughest questions I was ever asked.

What Girls Said 3

• I'm not deaf or HOH but when I'm signing, I'm thinking of the words I'm using for that particular language (whether it's American sign language or filipino sign language) but like, the grammar's not the same. I don't think about the sentence the aay I would in English , I just think of the meaning that I want to convey :) that's why it's hard to speak while signing because English grammar is so different from American Sign Language :P

Sorry, I know it's confusing :P

• Whatever language they were taught to read and speak (sign).
    Sign Language isn't just for English speakers. :)
    I took 3 years of American Sign Language and read about it.

• Babies think so maybe its the same language babies think in until they learn sign language or whichever language they learn first.