Who has it more easier in College, a rich person or someone who is a minority?

Just curious if there's anyone out there like me who has found succes in college despite being from a family who makes less than $20,000 a year and I'm attending my state university!

Most Helpful Girl

• I think if you are financially advantaged than you are likely to succeed than a person who doesn't have the means to pay tuition and such

Just saying.

What Girls Said 7

• You mean in regards to paying for it?

The very rich and the very poor have the easiest time. Between the two, the very rich have it easier in many ways. The college culture or the idea of college isn't foreign to them. The parents are likely college grads and it's likely everyone they associate with socially are college grads. It's also likely that it was news to the rich kid that you don't HAVE to go to college. They think it's just the school you have to go to after high school. (Generalizing)

The very poor don't see college as a matter of course. It's a bigger deal to them.
    They might appear to be sell outs to their friends and family. Or get accused of "acting white" by continuing with school. (First hand experience here)

Sadly, like health care, the middle class has to go deep in debt or go broke to get any help. No matter the race.

To be honest though, middle class whites have it the worst. There is help available for minorities. Not so for them. (Yes, there are grants and etc. but there's no UNCF for them.)

• what do you mean by "success in college"?

• That is very easy. Of course the rich. But I love the dedication of people who overcome.

• It's easier for rich people.

• It's easier for a rich person but not being rich shouldn't be a hindrance

• you don't have to be rich but I guess a rich person will have an advantage

• Rich person, college is super expensive so if your rich you have it easy

What Guys Said 7

• Someone with a good cultural back ground will have it easier in HS and college and that's often linked to families who are financially easy. But it's not necessary to be rich: my family certainly wasn't rich ad the last days of the month could be difficult. New clothes wouldn't always be a priority, replacing the old clunker could be a painful headache. But they had broad cultural interests and that certainly helped me a lot in HS and college.

• rich obviously ;)

• Probably they're in rather the same situation.

It's the middle that gets squeezed.

• Rich people do

• Whichever one is willing to work super hard. Money isn't a factor.

• I got you bro same here we the under privilege will succeed

• Rich person. If they run into problems, they're more able to fall back on family help, take an extra year, drop courses and retake them, hire tutors etc, without worrying about the impact on bursaries or grants or triggering loan repayments.

Hey, life's better off for people from poor families IN university then those who didn't make it. If you're going to state U in the USA your life prospects are way, way, way above the global average. Seize those opportunities.

• I'll maybe add one other factor. I've read, for example, that certain minority groups, even at the college level, even with the same high school marks, are less likely to recover from sort of a negative academic experience. It's almost like there's an expectation of failure, and when they hit a roadblock, their family, maybe faculty, maybe even they sort of accept it. Where an average student from a well off family could completely fail a year of college, and their family would be like 'wtf is this crap, get your ass in gear, lets get a tutor, lets turn this around'. There is an -expectation- of success, failure is treated as an anomaly, and thus more likely to be overcome.

A -lot- of us face some struggles during our university career - I certainly did. If you yourself face them, know that you DO have the talent and ability, don't give up, find a way to pick up and keep going. Expect success.