Is it bad that I feel worthless for never having served in the US military?

Most Helpful Guy

• That's how the government wants you to feel bro.

What Girls Said 4

• I feel awful for putting my enlistment on hold.. I feel sad when I think that I may never get to serve as a medical corpsman but I don't beat myself up about it, and neither should you :)

• It's stupid and illogical as is asking the same damned question fifty f*cking times...

• Yeah, it's bad. Why would you want to do that anyway?

• So you want to kill other militants and even innocent men, women and children?

What Guys Said 11

• If it makes you feel worthless, then you have had many years to change that. But you have not, so it is bad that you have the opportunity to do what you feel is right but don't do it.

• yeah, I'm not sure why you'd feel bad about that. The military is just a place where people go to become paid mass murderers for the government. Not the best and most moral job of all, in my opinion. Not unless your country is under threat, which it quite obviously isn't.

• u r not bro... military's not everything :)

• War is stupid. What is there to be ashamed of?
    You've seen and heard what the US/UK soldiers did to people in Iraq/Afghanistan.

There's more to live than holding a gun and waving your flag into battle.

• Yes it is wrong you feel that way.

• Yes, if that makes you worthless then the majority of your country is worthless.

• It is an honor to serve in the Armed Forces, but it is not a shame to not to serve.

• Well you still can.

• 0|0
  • Part of me wishes I had.

I would be in Syria right now, doing as Jordan Matson and many other westerners have done and taking the fight to Daesh, if I had the requisite skills. As it is, I have no military or medical background and only know a handful of words from the local languages. I'd be useless over there.

• I'm grateful for their service and everything but I think people put them on a pedestal and it's ridiculous. It is bad you feel this way, you're not worth less of a person for not joining the effing military.