What are your thoughts on the statement below?

Are hip hop lyrics the dumbest in the industry?

Most Helpful Guy

• I always took issue with this. I think some rap lyrics are the deepest, most insightful ones I've heard, from any genre. And there's little Jon and the Eastside Boyz, so there's that too. People who disparage rap as unintelligent clearly haven't explored the genre past what they hear on the radio. Was Sinatra "deep?" A lot of rock music past and present has trite, hackneyed lyrics and concepts, but no one calls it dumb. Sit down and listen to something really poetic and insightful, then go listen to the Rolling Stones (nothing against them, just an example)... is "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" really breaking any new ground?

http://youtu.be/6JlQkiumSTs
    "... and I'll hang my boots to rest when I'm impressed/so I triple-knot 'em and forgot 'em/this origami dream is beautiful, but man those wings'll never leave the ground/without a feather and a lottery ticket, now settle down"

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Guys Said 7

• they "can" be, but not sure about the "dumbest", there are many talented writers out there that form good passionate lyrics. wait am I confusing hip/hop with rap? lol

• Hip Hop is what the genre is called and rap is the how you "sing" Hip Hop music.

• hmm.. didn't realize that, well in that sense, if the rappers in the hip/hop genre spout nothing but money, drugs, girls, being a baller and having swag, then yeah they have the dumbest fucking lyrics ever. of course can't forget the music videos where they are just rolling in the benjamins yet always jumping up and down in some mediocre neighborhood in front of a small house.

• current hip hop is designed to dumb down are youth. Have you ever noticed all they sing about and all you see in their videos is them talking about money, killing, gangs, sex and them dressed like buffoons.

After this current generation is over a new generation will take its place to dumb down the next generation.

• Only those that fit the stereotype of a black potty-mouth* rhyming about violence and/or his own penis.

*Yes. A 19-year-old just used the word "potty". It was the only applicable term I could think of.

• yesterday my coworker played drake for about an hour so I think I'm qualified to say yes. worst crap I've ever heard, and I've heard iggy "freestyle"

• Yep. Absolutely moronic.

• 80s and 90s will always stand out as golden years of goosebump originality

• They are real talk!

https://youtu.be/HwNYoZ-bjns

hahahaha

What Girls Said 1

• They usually are.