Do you like guns?

Not pro/anti guns, just do you like them?

Not wanting a flamewar here, just interested in how many people personally like/dislike firearms.

• I like guns.
  • I don't like guns.
  • I'm indifferent.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I can't really see what's likeable or interesting about them. Even if I don't think about my political aversions against guns. Plus, I would feel very unsafe if I was near a gun. There have been very dark moments in my life where I would have probably used a gun against myself if I had actually had one. I'm glad I didn't. It's been proven that more suicides occur if people have access to guns. Of course you could also kill yourself with a kitchen knife, but only few people would do that. And what's even worse than suicides are extended suicides. We have a lot of them here in Switzerland. Like the US, we have a very high distribution of firearms in Switzerland because military service is mandatory for all men and once you've completed your service, you can (you're actually supposed to) keep your gun. So basically almost every guy has there army rifle and ammunition somewhere in their closet. Now, contrary to the US, we don't have school shootings. We've never had any school shootings and only one single public shooting (but that was 15 years ago). But what we do have a lot are "extended suicides". It's usually family fathers who lead completely normal lives, they seem friendly and responsible, hard-working and well-integrated in their community and then, one day, they lose it. Just like that. Maybe they have relationship problems or too much stress at their work place or whatever. And then they take their army rifles and kill their complete family, wife, children, and finally themselves. This happens several times a year and I think it's absolutely terrible. So yeah... I guess this has become political again, which I actually wanted to avoid. But this is partially, why I can't like guns.

What Girls Said 8

• I'm indifferent. Neither hate them nor do I love them. I've shot guns before and will do it again in the future though. But there's nothing particularly special about them.

• I do like them. I frequent the gun range quite often.

• I don't know I would want a gun or be somewhere there was guns but if your getting attacked or home invaded or raped or something I bet having a gun handy would be a life saver its a slippery slope and I could probably argue both sides. but I'm Canadian so I got a cup of hot Tim Horton's coffee so I'm good

• I like 'em.

• Yes, I like guns. I exercise my right to bear arms.

• I like them. Mainly because of video games. Wish I had my own revolver

• I am indifferent.

• I'm indifferent.

What Guys Said 11

• No... No need for them anymore...

• They're like everything else, can be used for good or evil. So I wouldn't be totally against guns in every case, nor for them either.

BUT there seem to be way more stories about gun accidents, suicides, murders and mass shootings than there are about people successfully defending themselves with guns. The US has the highest civilian gun ownership in the world. Second highest is Yemen. Guns don't seem to have made those places much safer. It was a different world back when the "right to bear arms" was instituted. The ideal we should be moving toward is no lethal weapons on the streets, as opposed to every person carrying one like in the Wild West.

• My family owns guns.
    I respect guns.
    I understand the need for them.
    And I've got to admit, target shooting is pretty fun.
    But do I LIKE GUNS?
    Overall, I think I have to say yes.
    Yes, they are tools with one main purpose, to maim and kill, but in the hands of responsible people, they can be used for good purposes.

• I don't like guns. They kill people too easily. Of course, it is just an advanced version of the bow and arrow in principle.

• I don't like them, no.

That doesn't mean that I want them outlawed, though. I just think that gun ownership is something that should be taken incredibly seriously, and there should be more limits in place in terms of who can get what.

• Yes, I have 11 or so. I will go to an outdoor range next week, first time in over a year though. Last time I was hitting half dollar sized targets from 110 yards standing without a scope. Let's see if I can still do it next week.

• Oh that's pretty good! I don't think I'd be good at shooting very small targets.

• @musicbrain5 Happy Birthday!

• Thank you!

• I own some guns but they aren't a huge hobby of mine or anything.. I guess I'm kind of indifferent.

• Meh. Not my jam

• I like guns because before when someone wanted to kill they'd hack you up with a dull sword, now if someone's gonna kill you it will be a quick and easy death most of the time. Unless that little Pune shoots you in the balls or something :P

• Yeah I think they're pretty cool, design wise. There's usually more to them than meets the eye.

• they're tools of death so no thank you