Do you think time travel is possible?

i've thought about it and i've come to the conclusion that time travel isn't possible because time is just a construct of human perception to help us understand the world around us. for time travel to be possible, it would have to be an actual real-life physical thing. wouldn't it?

just tryna gain that xp, you smell me?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• In the theory of time dilation it's possible to "travel into the future", it's not really traveling through time, it's just that during fast movement time passes slower, so that on a spaceship that travels away from the earth with the speed of light the time passes much slower than on the earth, meaning that when you get back to the earth a much longer time frame has passed.

Time traveling into the past is probably impossible, because many things you do it results in a paradox.
    For example, you go back in time and convince yourself in the past to kill someone, you get jailed for life and can't access the machine you needed to travel back in time in the first place. Now, as you could not access that machine you never convinced yourself to do anything wrong and never got jailed, so you could actually access that machine, so you traveled back in time and convinced yourself to... you know the story.

• I would correct. .. if the time of going and the time of getting are the same, then nothing will change.. in your theory it would be possible if both times are different in a considerable way.. and i don't think a human being can live that much "speed of light" much..

What Girls Said 5

• You actually time travel all the time. Did you know that your brain has a 9 second delay? Check out VSauce if you haven't already. I can't remember the video but that's what he said. :)

• that's interesting but i mean like travelling backwards and forwards through time via a machine or something

• Oh I see. It may be possible in the future. :)

• Not atm, but soon :P

• Why do think it's possible?

• yeah, that's probably the closest we can get to our idea of time travel and that sounds plausible but do you (not) think travelling through timelines into other dimensions and such is possible?

• (smiling)
      Not unless someone discovers a hidden vortex :P

• It's not. And it won't ever be.

• I'm sure somehow it will be, if it's not already.

• I don't think it is.

What Guys Said 8

• Can i ask you a question. ... you have to know that your life is an equation, 1 gets to 2 gets to 3 gets to 4.. and keep going... so for example say that you suddenly jumped from 4 to 12... what happened to the rest of the equation, what happened to 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ?, that you have to know each action you make will affect on someone else's action, like when you breath you take that amount of oxygen that the next day someone else will breath it, and keep going, when you talk to someone else is going to hear your voice, that someone will convert it into informations inside his head, that they may eventually convert it again into some sort of energy..
    the point is every thing in this universe is linked, even there's a link between a person and a whole generation, any idea makes a difference in the world, one idea can change the world, even when you touch your hair, something else is happening there... the question is why did you touched your hair... the answer is that action you just did have been in a calculations before even you were born, you can say before millions of years, so when you say for a one second you want to go to the future... ask your self.. where are you going?

• Time is not "just a construct of human perception". It's a real dimension of our universe, a part of space-time which can be bent and warped by gravity. As an example, time passes at a slightly different rate for the GPS satellites in Earth orbit, so Einstein's equations are used to continuously correct the data they send back to us.

Latest I've heard on time travel is that it's probably possible to travel into the future but not into the past. And if you could go to the past, you most likely could only observe it, not actually change anything that happened. Kinda like the ending to Interstellar.

• I don't think we'll see it. I don't know enough quantum physics to judge it's feasibility. Quantum physics can be fun however. Look at Schrödinger's cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYyCHGWJq4

• You can travel forward in time. If you were in craft going at the speed of light around the planet the time on earth would go faster than in the craft. So "x" amount of time going at that speed inside the craft would equal "y" amount of years gone by on earth

• Time dilation is what they call it.
      They tried it once with normal flight speed and noticed that the time on the plane went a few nanoseconds slower.

• wish it'd be!

• If it is possible then why has no-one came back from the future?

Take that into consideration. C:

• maybe they don't want to mess up the original timeline or maybe people have travelled back in covert missions and we don't know about it

• You missed one thing. We're human, we always make mistakes.
      I'm sure somewhere along the line something would be messed up. 'After all, we're only Human'

• good point

• I sure hope so cause i aintt diggin this right now. Need a better scene

• I don't know, but I hope so :)