How do I leave behind my pained past in a way that won't cause me pain?

I have a lot of haunting memories (even my first memories) and painful breakups that I can't seem to get over. I need some advice and I have thought of cutting/burning and at one point was suicidal. I need to put these nightmares to rest for once and for all.

Most Helpful Girl

• Try not to think of your past experiences as a learning tool and use them to get one step closer to a relationship that you'll be happy in. Also, when you feel depressed don't isolate yourself, go out and be social even if you don't want to. Maybe you go do something symbolic like release a helium ballon in the air and on have written the things that you've decided to let go of because you don't want them to hurt you anymore. Time does help too. You're still young so there will be more relationships in the future. Pls don't cut or burn yourself. If you get to that point you need to find a therapist who can help you learn coping skills.

• Ty for MH. I hope you find some peace. Someone once told me, "don't let your past define your future". Feel better. 💛

• thank you

What Girls Said 1

• Put it behind you and promise yourself you won't look back!

What Guys Said 5

• dude i feel u... i had a shity past as well.. best u can do's focus on da present... and disown yer past self ;)

• It's hard when I can't make a happy environment for myself. Due to my moving early in life to get away from a broken household I have never had really any friends.

• If it gets too bad maybe think about talking to a counsellor.

• I've been to therapy before... it didn't help and the meds took away my personality. I felt like a robot, not happy or sad either. Or they made me manic and so energetic it didn't let me sleep

• Being there side effects suck - I know it is cliche but you have to look for positive coping mechanisms. Find things you enjoy and immerse yourself in them

• Thanks man. I'll keep looking for better outlets

• Take your mind off of it.

• Get with people you have fun with and have fun... it'll go away

• Ughhhh... life sucks... pain... death... ughhhhhh...

i.ytimg.com/vi/3bK963ZjlyE/maxresdefault.jpg