How's the current employment rate in your country?

how's the job market? is it easy to find a job for a university graduate? high school graduate?
are there a lot of openings for entry-level positions?

Most Helpful Guy

• I come from Switzerland and the unemployment rate here is around 2,9%, so it's pretty low. Finding a job is still relatively easy as long as you have a good education. Because we only have public universities in Switzerland, there are no "good" or "bad" colleges. The whole concept of "good" or "bad" schools doesn't exist here. All universities are very good in terms of educational quality. What's very different from the US (and from almost all other countries in the world) however, is the fact that only a relatively small minority of 15-20% are eligible to attend a university. We have something called a "dual system". When teenagers are in junior high school (7th to 9th grade) they have to decide whether they want to make an apprenticeship or continue going to school. If they want to make an apprenticeship, they have to figure out what field interests them and then start writing job applications and go to job interviews. Apprenticeships are very typical for manual and technical jobs such as carpenter, baker, cook, car technician, nurse etc. but also jobs like working in a bank or in a travel agency. If you get an apprenticeship, you start working part time in a company after 9th grade and earn money (but not a full salary, because you're still learning). On 1-2 days of the week you go to school to specifically learn theoretical stuff about your future job (but no general education anymore). People who go for an apprenticeship are almost certain to have a job later on. If they like their boss and their boss likes them, they can continue working in the same company as a full employee after finishing their apprenticeship.
    If however, you want to take the academic path, you have to pass a series of entry exams into what we call "Gymnasium" (in some countries it is called Lycée (France) or Liceo (Italy)). These entry exams are extremely challenging and only the very best students have a chance to actually pass them. Once you are in this Gymnasium, you also have to keep studying very hard because it's very tough both in terms of work load and in terms of difficulty. If you don't get passing grades, you can still drop out any time. The Gymnasium lasts for 4 years. At the end you have to pass another, very challenging final exam in all subjects. Once you're through with that, you can go to any university you wish. What's also different to the US is that you need at least a master's degree to get a job if you took the academic path. But job security is quite high.

What Guys Said 13

• When did you decide to put your Economics Hat on? The job market is improving, but not ideal. With technology shifting the landscape of business, there aren't enough qualified graduates entering the workforce to fill those new positions. College teaches the traditional way of doing things, and that horse was beaten to death by droves of students hoping to aim for a middle-class lifestyle.

The funnel is filled to the brim, yet there are opportunities to the side that hardly anyone things about.

• The current unemployment rate in the US, with figures cooked by the regime is 5.5% When you add "underemployed", such as engineers working as security guards at near minimum wage and those who have given up looking and dropped out of the workforce, it is more like 11%. Some fringe groups claim it is much higher. I believe it is the intent of the current regime to weaken the USA on the world stage by outrageous deficits, absurd immigration policies, regulation of commerce and shameful foreign relations and is succeeding. The USA survived his first term but he had done such grave, intentional damage that the USA may never fully recover even after a new president is elected. If a liberal Democrat is elected, it will be time for me to emigrate.

• It sucks. Permanent, full-time positions are disappearing. Most people are now in part-time, contract or temporary positions. They're actually putting off getting married, owning their own place, or have no interest in getting a car, because of the economy. Our parents and grandparents had it much better.

• @Jersey1: I've always voted third party. I wish we could vote directly for the PM though - the leader of the party that wins gets the job.

• my father's family is English but yes japan has always been very conservative

• The unemployment rate is around 15%, I suspect it will fall about 3 points during the summer. For people my age it's closer to 30%. A lot of well educated young people are emigrating to the UK, to Germany, to Australia, to the UAE, to the USA, to Canada, you name it.

• Especially for 55+ aged people and students coming off university, it's really hard to find a job. One positive thing though: there are signs of improvements and the expectations for the coming 5 years are positive thans to 1 to 2% of growth forecasted.

• In the US (where I currently live) the unemployment rate is 5.5% more or less.
    In Spain, where I was born, the unemployment rate is 23.2% more or less.

• Very bad, lots of people in Croatia are unemployed.

• I believe around 10% but my city is lower.

• 10% gurai.

• It's bad here in the UK they complain about high crime rates but wtf do they expect when know one can get a job lol.

• in the us everyone was experience.. they dont really value a degree unless u have experience im seriously considering in leaving the country

• Tired of Japan?

• I think it's around 90% in the US. You looking for a job overseas?

What Girls Said 4

• it's alright actually =] yeah it just takes a good amount of searching, but if u present urself well enough then it's all good

• No clue. I know that I currently have a very good job in my city. And it's entry level.

• It sucks! At least for NC and NYS know because I've lived in both. I couldnt find a job til I went through a temp agency

• Very bad. I have been unemployed for 3 years. Luckily the field I am going to work in is always hiring.