How to keep from winding up like your parents?

We are all products of our environment. We grow up and take in what we are influenced by. Parents especially. I really don't want to end up like my father in many ways. While I can find admirable traits about him, I'm absolutely disgusted with him in other ways.

One of my closest guy friends said that I'm a lot like my father in terms of mannerisms and personality. And that's made me feel insecure. I suppose I talk a little like him but I hate his personality; my dad likes to argue just for the sake of arguing. He doesn't realize when he's hurting other people when he's arguing with them. He refuses to be wrong; that asshole has to be right all the time. My younger brother is becoming like this and I hate that so much.

Most Helpful Guy

• The fact you are asking this question is a good sign just take the good traits of your dad.

What Girls Said 3

• i know what you mean by this... maybe you can avoid it by trying to act like in the opposite way... but.. you know... genetics

• Acknowledge what you don't like about him and make an effort not to be like that.

• I believe that when you are aware of this, it already makes a big difference. Think about what is wrong about your dad's behaviour and try to think about how you feel like he should react/think or be. When being in a certain situation try to become aware of what you are doing or saying.

What Guys Said 7

• sp.yimg.com/.../th

Some of it just transfers over you can't help it. However some of the obvious things you can change which is what I do with my kids as my Dad and I have certain parenting differences.

• I actually want to be like my parents if I can be even half the man my father is I'll have done good.

• I think just by being this self-aware you can catch yourself and not fall into the groove left behind be the generation before you.

• not at all... personally i hardly resemble any of my parents, both physically n mentally ;)

• That is such a crock of shit. We are not products of our environment we have the power to choose who we want to be.

The only thing I learned from my parents is how to not raise a kid. I grew up white trash dirt poor and now I make more then both my mom and my dad. .

• I am nothing like my parents. I isolated myself in my room 24/7 when i was growing up. No other humans have influence me much :)

• Try hypnotism, therapy, meditation, living far, far away, and not spending a lot of time with them.