What is it like getting a job for the first time, and what would your advice be to newbies?

To all those who are employed or have been employed, what was it like when you started your first job? I'm 17 and am looking for work but feel quite anxious to go for it. I know there are many who feel the same way.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's interesting. When you work an eight or nine hour day, you find that not all of that is spent hard at work. Also, it's amusing how many people don't really know what they're doing. I mean, they're qualified, but are largely making it up / learning as they go. Work is easier, for me anyways, than school ever was. For one, it's open book. You aren't tested on-the-spot for what you know, and you can ask lots of stupid questions (try to never ask the same one twice). If you mess something up, it's not usually a big deal if you come clean right away. In fact, people might just laugh about it and then help you sort it out. A lot of it is the same each day, and you just chip away. When in doubt, try to do things right. If you get it done fast and cheap, you'll spend more time on it in the long run. Keep your integrity, but not at the cost of others' reputations. If you're the new guy and you call people out, you'll get a pat on the back from management, and no respect from everyone else. That being said, it's an easy way to make friends, too. You'll generally spend enough time with enough people to get on with at least a few. And there's a pride that comes even with a shitty job. When people ask what you do, you can give a concrete answer.

I've not yet had a job that I didn't get some enjoyment out of. I guess you can find something good about most situations.

What Guys Said 4

• happy at the start... then realise... ughh yer boss is an ass :(

• Only be anxious if it is a *good* job (relative to your age, experience, etc.) Any fast-food grunt work shouldn't make you anxious.

• Okay thanks.

• In fact, before long you will find your entry level job incredibly tedious! But if you can advance to "lead" or "manager", good for you.

• Just go in, be yourself and be friendly - You will make friends soon.

• For someone who employes freshers - they come with tons of ambition, seldom education reflects actual work in establishments. So, I may want you to go there with an open mind, be willing to learn and gradually you will climb up the success ladder.

What Girls Said 1

• pay attenchion and laugh at ur mistakes. dont give up