Agree or Disagree: Americans tend to get singled out for every negative thing in the world?

Every negative thing such as being -

Too greedy
Too selfish
Too cocky
Too arrogant
Too ignorant
Too stupid
Too religious
Too self-righteous
Too disrespectful
Too racially prejudiced
Too biased (towards many other things)
Too hateful

(We all know that there are many other countries with these same negative traits or possible more but the US/Americans just so happened to get singled out the most for them all because we're the loudest country in the world with our very huge media influence around the world)

• Agree
  • Disagree

Most Helpful Guy

• I've seen a lot of smart and nice American people and in the same time I've seen a lot of idiots from there too but that applies for every single country. I agree with you that Americans are singled out for that and the reason is that America is the most famous country and English is an international language so there are more focus on Americans more than any other group. It's kinda lame to single the American people with that but I think you know the reason why, but look at the bright side, at least you are not singled out for being extremists and terrorists like us the middle eastern people lol.

• "at least you are not singled out for being extremists and terrorists like us the middle eastern people lol."

I may not get singled out for that but as a Latino-American, I sometimes get singled out for being illegal immigranst or convicted felons. lol

• I feel you. I have absolutely nothing against white people (both American and Non-American) at all. In fact, a few of my best childhood friends were white. However, you still can't deny that there are still a few of those whites who still have this prejudice mindset towards minorities and they tend to be more open about it than a few racist minorities.

• Yes I agree I have nothing against white people or any race in general but from my experience most racists I've came seen were white

What Girls Said 9

• Well you have to realize that things are different in other countries. Compared to the taliban you look normal but for people coming from Europe you are far more religious than we're used to and it's odd to a lot of people. You hear things in the news and it just doesn't make any sense. Like that evolution shouldn't be taught in school. That's just not a question that arises in other countries.
    The self righteous thing is more often seen in terms of foreign policy and individual people. And I mean I'm sure you can see how some people would feel that way.

In every country there are things that make other countries go wtf? For america it's more obvious because American politics is so much more in international public than international politics is in American public.
    Again you just have to realize that a lot of things are different in other countries. One of the biggest differences might be welfare. We hear you don't have and often don't want paid maternity leave, childcare or universal healthcare and we wonder what's wrong with you? Again those are things that are just normal in many other countries. And then you hear people say they don't want maternity leave/healthcare/childcare... because it'd be just another hand out and they don't want to pay for someone else. Maybe that's a normal thing to say in america, but here it comes across as selfish, ignorant, stupid, biased and just missing the big picture.
    I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Secondly American culture has somehow sneaked it's way into almost every other culture in the world. Countries everywhere are feeling they are becoming more Americanized and some don't care but others don't like it at all. For the latter it's easy to single out the bad parts. They don't necessarily hate Americans or mean that all americans are greedy, ignorant... they just don't want certain aspects of American culture in their own.

• I mean, like, Americans as a group tend to be annoying but generally I like them on the individual level.

• That kinda misbehavior is international for some ages/activities/ mentality. I've seen barbarians of all nationalities do such things: drunken HS students, soccer fans, camping dwellers...

Name a country and it too has some like that (Belgium included!)

• @jacquesvol I rather liked Belgium. Lived there for a few months.

There was also a lot of "This country's a piece of shit! Freedom! Hamburgers!" and such. Not sure about the hamburgers but me and my exchange family did a lot of eye rolling.

• Nah I don't believe in stereotypes. I do agree that American exposure and stereotyping over the media is probably the biggest reason behind the judging but then there's political history and policies etc that could lead to the formation of preconceived opinions. America is huge and diverse, not everyone has the same views/biases. I've known a few people from there and they've all been really cool, it's rare that I've ever come face to face with an American with the listed traits however my pool of friends from the U. S. is small 😁

• It's the French and Americans. But Americans are too diverse. Too many mini nation states to be lumped as all the same.

• It's true. Usually by non Americans. They're trying to sound smart.

• I mean, I can understand that they might have had a bad experience with a few idiots who happen to be Americans but there's no need for them to paint us all with the same brush.

• Depends... I wouldn't include: greedy, cocky, disrespectful, hateful...

• Not Always.

• I totally agree!

• Agreed. And what's really funny? Most of the people saying these things have never even been to America, had a one on one deep conversation with an American, or taken their time to get to know an American. Lol, they're jealous.

What Guys Said 11

• I have been living abroad now for a while and I can say that yes, all countries have these things, I really do believe we are a country of extremes. I feel like I saw more obese and super fit people back home, but in the uk at least, people just seem to be generally fit. We also have one of the most capitalist economies int he world, so naturally we have the first 4 things you mentioned more than some. I think education wise and such, all countries have pockets of people that don't know anything about geography, current events. I know more about uk politics, European geography and history than many Britains I have met, but that is because I am a history master's student. But I think it is about the same for people back home and here.
    Even the other European countries I have been to, there are plenty of all these things, I just think they have a larger % of the population 'somewhere int he middle' then we do.

• It's very fashionable among a lot of people to bash the United States. A lot of it is a sense of jealously, and anger because of the global reach of our culture. But a lot of these same people would be living in bondage were it not for America and the sacrifices Americans have made for their freedom. But why acknowledge that when you can sit in some elite coffee house and badmouth the United States?

• It's hatred of the good for being the good.

Most people hate prosperity and freedom.

America has its faults, but it's not hated for its faults.

Notice, for other examples, how Western Europe is criticized more than Eastern Europe , the rich parts of Asia more than the poor parts, etc, etc.

This hatred goes all the way back to the Bible and is present in every major ideology of the day, whether religious or allegedly 'secular', from environmentalism to feminism, from Marxism to general 'social justice'.

• I agree in the sense that the huge US media presence leads them to be singled out. I am irish, I have been to New York once and Houston 3 times where I found the vast majority of people in those two cities very nice.

• Turn "American" into "White people"

• Why would that happen?

• all of these r stupid stereotypes bro... every american's different... gosh o_O

• I think people tend to dislike America's foreign policy more than the American people themselves.

• True. If we had the power to change our foreign policy for the sake of the other foreign countries and preventing us from wasting our hard earned tax dollars, then we certainly would.

• North America is pretty great overall. The other continents are the fucked up ones.

• Americans tend to get those criticisms, and most of them are well-deserved. They're one of the biggest bullies in the world; you either do what they say or you'll suffer the consequences, usually in the form of military invasion or economic sanctions.

• Well, the ones who deserve those criticism the most of all are the American Government, not the vast majority of American citizens. I mean, I'll admit as an American myself, we should take some degree of blame for not doing anything about our own government wasting our tax dollars (by not voting) but even then, we don't have a say in what our government does to the other parts of the world.

• I mostly agree. However, I would argue that voting is worse than not voting. By participating in a broken system that's rigged in favor of those with the most money, the inevitable result is more of the same. Many third-party candidates who propose to "change the system" can't even get their names on the ballot because of how the rules are structured.

• americans r not singled out for being extremists thats middle east lol

• But I'm talking about among developed countries, not 3rd world countries. I see plenty of Anti-American remarks on Youtube and even here on GAG (occasionally) everyday.

• ... and they say americans are smart

• We may not be the smartest country (or the overall best country in the world) among the 1st worlds but we still have more common sense than the vast majority of the other parts of the world.