What is your opinion about foreigners?

I would like to ask this question mainly (but not only) to the native English speakers. I've always wondered what would be your reaction if someone who is not native or fluent in English tries to talk to you. Would you laugh at them or try to understand and help them as much as possible?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a foreigner in the US and my English is not perfect and I have an accent. I've been here for a year and a half and no one has never laughed at me, even better, they like my accent (especially the girls).
    Sure, they have laughed at some words I mispronounced (like beach, I used to say it like "bitch" xD). But they laughed innocently, not as in trying to hurt me.

People won't care how you talk as long as they can understand you, they're usually nice about, and guys will like your accent. Those who laugh at you, you know who not to be around anymore, so that's a plus.

What Guys Said 7

• np... i'd understand :)

• i wouldn't laugh at them. i dont think there would be much i could do to help them either, but id try my best to understand them

• I work in a place with many people that don't speak English well , but I do try to understand them anyway. If I have to I will get a person that can speak both languages to help

• I wouldn't laugh. I'd try to make the best out of the situation. And for both guys and girls, broken English in a foreign accent can sound ridiculously adorable.

• I have no problem with it. I think its cool actually. Only thing i hate is when im talking to someone with a thick accent and they get mad if i can't understand them even if im trying.

• Laugh? No way. He could speak more languages than I can. He should be the one laughing at me

• I listen and make the effort to understand what they're trying to say even if it's unclear. I don't patronize them but I'm careful not to use words I think they'll have a hard time understanding, I simplify my sentences a bit. I'm often impressed because their English is way better than my efforts would be with their language.

What Girls Said 5

• My grandparents all immigrated From various countries so it would be silly to say GRR FOREIGNERS XD

It's always better to try and get along with people. You never know how awesome of a person you'll get to meet!

• Generally the latter. I only get annoyed by people who can't write well enough to be understood (native English speakers have this problem too) but it's not personal.

• I always try to help and understand them. I am actually fascinated by different cultures

• I would try to help them. I'm experiencing the opposite learning Spanish, and so many people have been patient and helpful throughout the whole process.

• I think they are just people. I try to help them.