The Walking Dead is such a dumb show, yet I keep watching it. What up wit dat?

Although I just started watching the third season, and it seems to be getting better.

Most Helpful Guy

• I get stuck watching the laundry go round and round sometimes, it's probably a similar phenomenon.

What Girls Said 3

• I think it's awesome. If you look at it in the idea that it's a show about zombies, then it is dumb. If you look at it as a how do people change and who do we become in times of desperation, then it's pretty awesome

• I don't even want to attempt it. I would rather watch Resident Evil. More interesting.

• Because it's entertaining.

What Guys Said 6

• I don't think it's dumb, I love the show. And I totally agree with aarmy811: although the show is about zombies, it's not actually ABOUT zombies. The zombies are just a means to bring across the real ideas of the show. In terms of psychology (how people change, how mass/group psychology functions, what people behave like in extreme situations etc.) and in terms of philosophy (how do extreme situations affect somebody's ethical or moral values? Are there certain ethical systems that are superior to others? etc) it is absolutely awesome. The show plays with a lot of things that afford some background knowledge to get really intrigued. For example Shane (the other police officer) and Dale (the old guy with the beard and the hat) stand symbolically for two major and opposing schools of classical ethical philosophy. This can be seen particularly well when the group has to look for the little girl who gets lost in the forest with the zombies. Dale is the "absolutist" (technical term) in the group. He is the group's Immanuel Kant so to speak. His ideology follows quite strictly Kant's categorical imperative. He believes that the group has to search the girl UNTIL they find her, alive or dead. Giving up is no option. Why? Because her value as a human being is both unalienable and uncomparable to any hardships they have to go through. In Dale's opinion, the group is only strong because every single of its members is strong and valuable. Giving up "one's humanity" as he actually says it himself is not an option, not even in the most desperate situation - because it is one of the last things they have and one of the last things that keep them all alive and physically/emotionally/socially healthy. Shane on the other hand is the group's Jeremy Bentham or John Stuart Mill. His ideology is utilitarianism. Because of this, he wants to give up the search quite soon. He is not willing to risk the whole group just to find a little girl. Although the girl is emotionally important to him, he doesn't consider her an asset and is thus willing to give her up. To him, people do not all have the same value. Their value depends on their usefulness for the whole group. These are, in my opinion, extremely interesting questions where there are no right or wrong answers. Both sides are understandable. This is why philosophers of both schools are still today debating questions like these. There is a very cool online-lecture series by Harvard professor Michael Sandell about this topic.

• I hate how for the most part they're stuck to being in the woods and the times they are in cities it's in some claustrophobic building. I would love a show that has societies like the ones in Land of The Dead. I'd also like things like the Resident Evil movies where just certain areas of the world are populated by zombies.
    Also their purposeful refusal to say the word "zombie." They've literally called them everything but zombies... I also hate Carol. She acts like tough shit yet she almost got over powered by an out of shape elderly woman at the beginning of season 5. She's the living embodiment of being incompetent.

Ok angry rant over.

• When I said Resident Evil movies I meant the animated ones based off the games not those awful Milla Jovovich ones...

• Finished the third season just 2 hours ago. It's not the best I've ever seen but it's not a bad show.

• then y do u do it? :p

• yeah it went downhill in that season with the prison, but it managed to recover quite well in my opinion. its still one of my top shows

• I like The Walking Dead.

I dunno. Sue me?