If you were on the jury, would you vote guilty or not guilty?

A 22-year-old woman is on trial for domestic violence. She considered moving in with her mother after leaving her ex-boyfriend, but decided that living with her mother and 20-year-old sister was too chaotic, so she packed up her bags and tried to leave. Her mother tried to stop her and a fight escalated. The defendent succeeded in getting out of the apartment, but couldn't transport all of her belongings in one trip. Not wanting to leave them alone, she called the police and asked if they could help her move them. They agreed and the defendent brought her belongings outside. When the police arrived, her mother and sister ran out of their apartment accusing the defendent of assaulting them. The defendent told the police she was defending herself when she bit her mother and hit her across the face. The sister told the police that she filmed their whole fight. The defendent was then arrested.

At trial, the defendent says that she was defending herself after her mother attacked her, was scared, and was trying to escape domestic violence that night. The evidence against her: (1.) The video starts by showing the mother yelling at the defendent, waving a finger in her face, and attempting to follow her around as she gathers her belongings. The mother tries to grab the defendent's arm several times and the defendent tells her not to touch her. The defendent walks towards the door, but the mother jumps in front of it. The defendent tries to push past her and screams to let her go. The mother tries to tear the defendent's keys out of her hand, breaking her lanyard, and then tries to take the part of it that still has the keys attached from the defendent's hand. The defendent bites her mother, reaches back, hits her across the face, knocking her glasses off, and tells her to get out of the way. (2.) The mother and sister testify to the defendent's guilt. (3.) The police testify that yes, the defendent did admit that she bit her mother and hit her across the face.

• guilty of domestic violence
  • not guilty of domestic violence
(4.) Pictures of the bite mark were presented.

Most Helpful Guy

• If the video showed the mother used force to attempt to keep the adult daughter in the apartment, then in my state, that's considered kidnapping and the defendant was within her rights to defend herself. The mother should have been charged with felony kidnapping by use of force and misdemeanor assault for each time she touched her. If the keys did not belong to her, then add a charge of attempted robbery. What was the basis for the arrest? I'm betting something that happened wasn't recorded on video. It seems like we're not getting the full story here, because it sounds like she used the minimum amount of force needed to protect herself and escape the apartment.

• The basis for arrest was the mother and sister's accusation, the video, the bite mark, and the fact that the defendant did admit that she bit her mother. That was the full story

• Thanks for MHO! Good luck with your case!

• Wow. The Founding Fathers would be rolling over in their graves... Thanks for telling me that though. In a weird way, it makes their refusal to drop the charges seem less personal. You're welcome for MHO! Thanks for your help and advice!

What Guys Said 6

• I don't think she is guilty, mostly because the mom was inhibiting her movement, which can be seen as a reason for 'active defense', which is what she did here.

• Really interesting that all the women say guilty and most guys say not! I wonder why...

• guilty 8)

,.

• not guilty it was self defense she told the mom NOT to touch her and she continually did, she grabbed her, ripped her clothes and even tried taking her possesions (the keys) and also tried to entrap her. so no i say not guilty.

• yeah. It's unfortunate, it's horrible, but it's the truth. I'm sure the daughter could have been less physical about it though. Sometimes that's not even the case.

• Not guilty

• I'd just flip a coin.

• Well she did it obviously, but why? right ! ? She did it, but I don't blame her.

• I mean is the 22 year old just supposed to bow her head down and stay home forever? It's worse that it's her mother (or close relative for that matter), I mean it sounds worse, but if it were anyone else most people would say " yeah!, hit that bitch!"

What Girls Said 3

• okay, I hope I don't come across as a monster, but I tried to analyze this is without emotions/empathy getting in the way.

in my opinion, the way she acted wasn't "self-defense" unless she truly was being abused and was defending herself from further abuse (because in the moment she wasn't really being attacked)
    also, I think her actions were a bit much (again, viewing this from an emotionless POV) because she could have bit then shoved her away, instead of hitting her (unless it truly was the only way to get away from the mother and sister)

:P

• Where I'm from, both parties have committed a crime, but you'll go down alone... unless if your lawyer has a good relationship with your judge.

• Guilty for sure!