Why are homeless people so rude?

They're just rude. This morning this homeless guy at the bus stop was just being a dick. I grabbed my purse and put it on my lap and he's like "what, you think I'm going to steal your purse? My god!" And storms off like I'm a pretentious spoiled bitch even though I didn't do anything. And I've had countless experiences with them asking for money, following me when I wouldn't give them it, or just being rude as hell on the bus (touching me or sitting literally on top of me...) Why are they like this.

And to the homeless guy I said "my father just told me to be careful, I'm just listening to my father." Like why the heck would he even care? Jerk.

Most Helpful Guy

• Think of how you feel. He makes you feel like crap but wants your money. You owe him nothing and he is right were God wants him to be. You see if you were to go to a homeless shelter where they feed and house people, you may notice some families who are at their lowest points. In serving food to these people a few will be very grateful for the food and if you notice those that are grateful will not be there in a month.

If you were to give that bum that makes you feel unconfortable a nickel, dime or quatrer. No matter what you give to him it will never be enough and he would never be grateful.

How difficult or how much would it be for this homeless man to be nice to you. It cost nothing to greet you with kind words, such as "you look beautiful and have an nice day". I know it would make your day get off to a positive begining. Instead, he choosing to bring negative feelings to you each day, make you feel afraid.

He is both rude and poor for the same reason, his thinking is all wrong.

What Guys Said 9

• For every homeless person that's homeless because they've fallen on hard times and had a few bad breaks, there are like a hundred that are homeless because they're either addicts or are batshit crazy, or both. Not that that doesn't deserve sympathy, but honestly, you don't know who you're dealing with. Your best bet is always to just keep your head down and don't talk to strange people. If they talk to you, just keep it moving.

• Exactly. Yeah that's good advice

• Maybe he was just having a rough day... or a rough life. Maybe he has mental health issues and can't get treatment. Maybe you reminded him of someone he used to know in his past life, and to distract himself he went off on you. Maybe he is ashamed of pan-handling and you inadvertently left him feeling guilty. Maybe he resents you for fearing him. Maybe society has failed him, and in slipping through the cracks, he has become jaded and bitter.

People are complicated. When we try to imagine them complexly, we realise how little we know of their perspective. A two-party confrontation has very different contexts on either side. As you don't know his story, he doesn't know yours.

• oh well... these guys've been through a lot... so it's obvious they'd b rude u know... ;)

• I just wish they wouldn't act so outwardly crazy but yeah it makes sense

• "It's the government duuude".

I'd say to cut these people some slack, they go through a lot. You have a warm bed to sleep (I'm assuming) in and they have to sleep on the cold hard floor.

If someone harasses you then by all means phone the police.

• Because they've never been treated nicely by anyone and eventually end up treating people the same way. Or maybe they just don't feel the need to be nice.

• They have nothing to lose but they're being lazy people who always blames others for their own laziness. Just call the cops if they go overboard.

• He's had a rough life, a lot of people have probably been treated really bad by some people so it's going to change his ways of thinking.

• Well we've all been through things I just find that rude outburst unnecessary like keep it to yourself. I should have said that

• Because society treats them badly.

• cause there bums there stupid get away from where you lie there's better place on this planet

• I know this haha the neighborhood I live in currently is terrible! I was raised in a very clean safe one though before I moved here so I know this isn't "normal" per se. I moved here for college though so oh well gotta tough it out

What Girls Said 7

• Some homeless people are simply used to being discriminated against as Stacyzee said or they have had a lot of bad experiences with other people so they may assume things. Others who are homeless may be mentally disabled or have other issues which cause them to react that way towards other people. You never really know what someone has been through or why they act a certain way. I don't think you did anything wrong though and being homeless is not an excuse to be rude to someone, but sometimes their reactions to things like this is understandable.

• He's used to being discriminated against.
    That's why he had that outburst.

Pay no mind to it.

• Yeah I figured he generally is always like that towards people. He initially was giving me very strong eye contact like what the heck am I supposed to do? It's 5am and I'm like 130lbs and 5'8 haha and I'm alone so yeah I will grab my purse thank you very much

• #generalisation107 , for all the nice homeless people out there.

• I've definitely have met a few very sweet kind hearted ones. Where I live at the moment has a very high population of them and yes they are generally treated like shit so I can understand

• They've been through a lot but @keyspirits does not fit into that stereotype because even though he sleeps under a bridge but he still is soo funny

• I don't know. I don't really live in a place where homeless people are "populated" I guess you could say. Maybe he really was going to steal your purse? Lol I have no idea I've never really seen many homeless people sorry.

• Haha I used to live in such a nice neighborhood ahh than I moved to the city and oh my goodness the percentage of homelessness is ridiculous. :/

• Because people are rude to them a lot.

• Oh I see

• Yeah and they think everyone judges them. So, they just assume you were doing it too.

• That's totally not me like I didn't do anything and he just was being a dick but I can see that

• Well, you'd be bitter and desperate too if you had to sleep on a park bench at night while other people look down on you like you're scum before going home to their cushie sofas.