What did you want to be when you grew up?

When you were a child, what were you dead set on doing as a career after reaching adulthood? Are you still determined to make that childhood dream a reality, or have you already made it a reality?

Most Helpful Guy

• When I was a child (between approx. 5-12) I was dead set on becoming an architect once I'm grown up. I loved building skyscrapers with wooden toy bricks and drawing houses and on vacation or free days I sometimes drew whole blue prints and horizontal floor plans of houses and I would then "sell" these buildings to my parents or siblings. I was so interested in this stuff that my dad even bought me a computer program which is used by real, professional architects to draw blue prints. And my mom bought me a very fat book about modern architecture with beautiful photos and illustrations for my birthday once and I still have it today ;-). Unfortunately, I am almost blind and people kept telling me that becoming an architect is not a possibility for me. I think nowadays it would work just fine with modern technology and some personal tricks to find solutions for visual problems. But 20 years ago, architects were still mostly drawing their plans by hand (at least in my country) and because these plans had to be very exact, one had to have an excellent vision. So, I had to give up my dream and look for something new. When I turned into a teenager, I became dead set on becoming a TV host (news host was my favorite option but game show host would have also been cool). It certainly helped that I loved talking and especially talking in front of lots of people (I was one of those kids who actually loved holding classroom presentations). I still have many of these talents today, that's why I sometimes participate in a local radio show (but just for fun, I don't earn anything with that). Unfortunately, again, I was told by my mom and other people that people who are almost blind can't become TV hosts. The problem (according to these people) is that my eyes (especially my left eye) look sort of different. They don't look ugly or anything like that but just... unusual and maybe strange for people who don't know about my disability. Apparently, TV hosts in my country (Switzerland) have to look very perfect... at least in their faces. They can't have any obvious, physical "flaws", because the viewers would be bothered by that. I wonder if it's also like that in America. Anyways... so that dream also died. Eventually I settled on becoming a college professor because I am academically very interested and because I love teaching. So, that's what I will be doing in a few years ;-).

What Guys Said 11

• I wanted to become a planet as a kid.. 1 that looked exactly like Earth.

But as I grew older I found myself remembering more dreams then waking life and then descovered a thing called lucid dreamingg... Then I can become a planet ir amything I wanted

• Honestly i wanted to be acknowledge and looked up to, regardless of what job or career i had.

Today im a USAF pilot in training/Avionics Engineer and Technician, studying enginwering and architecture.

Who also teaches bass online worldwide and on ocasion plays in certain events like Heinekens Jazz Fest, or Megapalooza (The caribbean Lolapalooza), Indie Rock Fest, EDC, etc.

• The first job I ever remember wanting when I was younger was, aside from being Superman, to be a construction worker. I've thought about it once or twice recently.

• i;d like to b an 80s new-wave artist... but fuck i wasn't even born then :(

• Old and wise. I've managed old so far.

• I wanted to go to law school, then earn a judgeship. I would be a just judge, who would punish the guilty and make sure the innocent do not end up wrongfully punished.

Regretfully, those dreams are something of the past...

• I want to be retired without financial stress, that's what I want to be.

• i never knew... neither do i know.

• I wanted to be a fisherman because I loved the sea.

• something with computers I don't know yet though. Dream job would be a Twitch Live Streamer or work there. ( www.twitch.tv )

• Human being.

What Girls Said 5

• I wanted to be like Samantha Brown :) travel around the world and get paid for it. Then it changed to dentist then it became a ballerina.

Now I am deadset on becoming a surgical nurse ^^

• I always wanted to be a singer. Now, I still wish I could be but I'm a little more realistic.

• A model or/and actress or a vet. I'm working on it but, instead of modeling I want to hip hop dance.

• A female superhero. That's what I wanted to be

• As a little kid in class they gave us these papers where we could check the job we wanted to do in future
    Firefighter, agent, doctor, etc...
    I was that kid who just checked something randomly, because I honestly just didn't know >.>