What is your view on Atheists?

I am an atheist and I wonder what do people think about people who don't believe in god, I've been studying a lot of stuff until I become one.

Most Helpful Guy

• Its hit and miss. Modern atheists generally have their beliefs formed in the principle of new atheism in contrast to classical atheists like Anthony flew, camus, Nietzche etc.

New atheists generally convert within their adolescents and maintain their adolescent beliefs right through adulthood. Its generally a lot louder than classical atheism but with nothing of substance to say. I want a discussion but if one takes a reductionist aapproach to knowledge like new atheism through the lens I'd scientism rather than science... intellectually enquiry tends to go backwards.

I want new atheists to present consistently plausible arguments that move discussion forward beyond the "i don't have a belief, i lack a belief so I don't need to explain anything" (which is akin to saying i lack any degree if knowledge about reality to make any informed opinion on anything).

But if an atheist chooses to make a morality based objection to a faith. They shouldn't be free to make baseless objections but first provide an objective basis from within their own belief by which they can use to condemn which often is ignored.

If they make an objection on the basis of evidence, they need to define what is objectively evidence because what mainstream disciplines of knowledge provide generally isn't acknowledged.

I much preferred classical atheists but new atheism has a degree of entertainment value

• Well I can say that it is not the atheist's duty to provide reason for his disbelief. He is free to not believe as much as you are free to believe. There is no standard way of thinking. Saying that believing in God is the standard and every one who doesn't believe in him has to provide reasoning is just absurd. If anything, the existence of God is a claim and it's the duty of the one who makes the claim to provide evidence for it.

• "it is not the atheist's duty to provide reason for his disbelief. He is free to not believe as much as you"

This is a cup out. It's also inconsistent with your belief. Sure you don't have to provide a rational basis for your beliefs but it won't move you intellectually forward. Also free will is wishful thinking if atheism is true so no people aren't free to believe what they want.

There actually is a standard way of thinking. Which is true for today and right throughout the past 95% of the planet past present and future have believed in God. The largest ever study conducted on the topic costing millions of pounds over 50 disciplines and in over 20 countries determined that we're born believers in God until indoctrinated out if it later in life. We're wired to believe so. .. you suggesting that your belief is the standard is absurd.

Your belief is the claim that those that believe in God are the ones with the claim is the unnatural belief which is contrary to evidence.

• What's worse is. .. if atheism is true. One has to lack a belief in logic and reason. Atheistic naturalism believes in a non guided evolutionarily process whereby traits are determined by survivability.

Evidentially speaking, true beliefs are selected for survival and not truth which has long been recognised in biology. I. e it's long been argued that mild paranoia is more beneficial for survival than an accurate assessment of the world or perhaps the most infamous. .. The fact that we're wired believers in God.

If you take an atheistic reductionist shortish to reality then one must forego his reasoning abilities. Sure you can employ wishful thinking into assuming your unreliable cognitive faculties are able to discern truths in any form but that's inconsistent with science on the subject.

What Girls Said 9

• I don't really have one... They're people just like us but with different religious beliefs like all of the other religions.

The only time I have a problem is when they try to shove their beliefs down my throat or basically day that mines or anyone else's beliefs are wrong. It's no longer the past each of us have a right to believe whatever we want including you.

• I think that everyone has the right to believe whatever they believe.

• I don't care what anyone believes, it's not my business. I do enjoy hearing what others think/believe though when they're open minded and don't do it in an aggressive way. I just don't understand people who insist on arguing religion, it's something none of us know for sure of, so what's the point in arguing over it, believe what you want and let people believe what they want.

• Some can be really snobby.

• I don't mind as long as you don't judge me or comment rudely on my belief

• I don't really care, its what they believe.

• My religion is ancient Greek, so I don't know.. but I think Atheists are kinda right.. this God character just appeared out of nowhere. How did that happen? It's illogical.

• It's fine. I don't see a problem.

• I typically find atheists to be annoying, rude, and insensitive to other's believes. I can't stand the common desire to shove their views down people's throats and negate from what other's believe in or the common attempt to condescend and belittle grown adults for being believers in something they arrogantly feel does not exist. Atheists tend to be some of the most arrogant people and conversing with them can be absolutely exhausting.

• Okay, I will take the risk of pissing you off now and ask this: so you find it condescending that atheists deny the existence of something you claim to exist but you don't have any shred of evidence for? Does that mean that the word of a patient from a psychiatric clinic counts just as much as the word of an educated scientist? I'm not saying YOU are insane, what I'm saying is that believers and patients of psychiatric clinics are united in the fact that both claim something exists (and believe in it, sometimes even talk to it), but can't actually provide any proof for its existence. If I walked up to you and said "every night I am getting visited by aliens from planet Oszor 500 light years away from earth" you would probably think "okay, this dude has some issues". But what's the difference to claiming god exists? Finally, you don't have more proof for god than I have proof of my interactions with aliens from planet Oszor. Seems to me like a pretty big double standard.

• Everyone, take note of @BlueCoyote and the way he is arrogantly attempting to force his own beliefs down my throat just as I stated most atheists do.

• Yeah some can be like that._.

What Guys Said 10

• God only knows when they'll start believing in themselves, and I'll be God damned if I'll get into an ungodly discussion with them about God knows what godforsaken theory they might have received from Heaven.

• I think they're usually educated. I also think they are right.

But I don't approve of shoving it down religious people's throats. Religion isn't just some mistake that randomly developed overnight. It's the collected wisdom of thousands of years of theology and practical life experience. Much of it may be outdated, mystic or ethically dubious, but just dismissing it off-hand is naïve.

Another thing: Science is amazing, but its undertaking is so vast and diverse that it is hard to bring together into an actionable guide to life for your average human. There is more analysis than synthesis. I still think it is the right way to go (obviously), but much of it is specialized and disparate enough to not really be useful for daily life.

Finally, religion serves a social purpose. Religious people are (scientifically) happier.

So there. I'm pretty much of an atheist myself, but religion is interesting, no doubt about it.

• we r kewl dudes :p

• You guys are alright. Met a lot of awesome ones in my college town.

• I couldn't care less if someone is an atheist. That's their business not mine

• Atheist here. This will be interesting...

• they are a bit disturbed, but we can't change their mental illness and demon possesion

• Whatever ones preference is fine with me

• they are not bad, they are confused.

• I'm personally agnostic, you can't know for sure. I think they're more my kind of people than the devout theists though.