Hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial weekend, but lets remember what its really about?

I've stood on sacred ground and watched as the American Flag was folded over a hero, I have held the blood stained letters and the dust filled uniform of a soldier who didn't make it home, and I have fallen to my knees at the sound of the military taps. Memorial Day is not just a 3 day weekend, it is a day we should take the time to appreciate everything we have because of those who made the Ultimate Sacrifice.

Most Helpful Guy

• Thank you for your post, and for the respect you show those who have fallen. I, too, have a post up about what this weekend is all about, and I hope many people learn from these posts and take the time to remember and respect those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

What Guys Said 5

• thanks to @red_arrow i've learnt some more things about it :D

• What's the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day?

• Veterans Day is a day to honor all who have served in the military.
      Memorial Day is a day to pay tribute to those who died serving in the military.

• Amen to that!

• Well spoken

• As America continues to fight battles both at home and abroad, I am reminded of those who have served our country in previous armed conflicts. Courageous individuals who answered the call and fought to protect the American way of life. Regardless of whether or not we agree with our nation’s military actions, we must always remember to honor those who made others die for our freedom.

I’m talking about the brave men and women in political office who have dedicated their lives to sending American soldiers to die in distant and brutal wars. Legislators and Defense Department officials, CIA directors and the president. No matter how ferocious the enemy, no matter how daunting the battlefield, these patriots are consistently willing to do whatever it takes to defend our nation, even if it means putting individuals other than themselves in harm’s way.

For this, we must honor them.

These are the true American heroes. Senators and state representatives throughout history who battled fearlessly to send thousands of troops to fight in ground invasions. Presidents who bypassed congressional approval to authorize airstrikes in hostile regions. Even when the battle seemed distant and avoidable, these brave politicians were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for their country: other people’s lives.

And it’s not just legislators and White House officials who deserve our reverence. We must also honor the military strategists, weapons manufacturers, and thousands of lobbyists who have committed themselves to ensuring others perish on the field of battle. These brave individuals who fought valiantly to make other people’s mothers, fathers, daughters, and sons give their lives for our nation’s safety.

No matter our political beliefs, we must look back, from time to time, and remember that the reason we can feel safe as Americans is because of the battles the men and women of our governing bodies forced people other than themselves to die fighting in.

We cannot forget that freedom has a price, and we cannot forget the people who made sure others paid that price.

What Girls Said 3

• Love this post! <3

• R. I. P.
    - - -

• Doesn't mean shit to me. I'm just here to party and drink