Atheists: what causes near death experiences? Why do the experiences feel more real than regular life if brain activity is profoundly reduced?

How are all of these people experiencing the same things: tunnels, awareness of the scene while their body was unconscious, an intense feelingof divine love, etc. Why do these experiences transcend cultures? If you are being honest there is only one logical answer...

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's because the mind struggles to deal with time periods where it has no recollection.
    What's interesting to note here is that although this phenomenon transcends cultures, the specifics of these visions always reflect the pre-existing assumptions of the individuals. And vary wildly from person to person.
    Christians will claim they saw angels or heard the voice of their god, while Muslims may claim to have seen the prophet Muhammad.

If you are being honest here, there are only two logical conclusions -
    1) We take all these claims with equal seriousness and draw the conclusion that all faiths are true. (Even though many religions are mutually exclusive.)
    2) Or anecdotal evidence is useless and we can just draw the conclusion that for one reason or another, people feel what they want to feel.

• That's not even true... NO Muslims see Muhammad. Look it up. In fact there are a lot of Muslims who have converted to Christianity as a result of a nde. Look on youtube.

• Asker, you've clearly missed the point.
      Even if no Muslim claimed to see Muhammad, it would still be something that belonged to the correct doctrine.

There are plenty of people who have converted to all sorts of other beliefs for bad reasons. This doesn't hold water.

What Girls Said 3

• Well, my brother was actually declared dead after an accident, the doctors had to shock him back to life. He said he didn't see any light or tunnel or anything like that, he said it just felt like he went to sleep or fainted and he didn't see anything after that and he was dead for a few minutes.

• None of this proves that it's God who is causing it. It's simply a case of neurological chemical reactions.

• Of which coincide and transcend culture. Ok

• I would think it's got something to do with the brain, but I don't have an explanation, to be honest. You're free to believe what you want about near death experiences, but I'd rather accept that more research and studies need to be done. We've made huge progress in understanding things which people once didn't understand (and may have believed to be miracles), and I'm sure we've got a lot more progress to make.

What Guys Said 5

• ugh? didn't get it... u mean how atheists feel before they die?

• No, I mean where does the experience itself come from? How can a near death experience be a product of increased brain activity if the brain is less active? Atheists aren't honest with themselves in this argument.

• personally i'd be... IF that happened

• A long tunnel? It's called tunnel vision.

Awareness of their body while they were unconscious? I dunno. I call bullshit on anyone who claims that one. I've almost died myself and sat in my car unconscious with a concussion and the next thing I knew I was in a hospital with a tube in my dick.

An intense feeling of divine love: It's called letting go.

• You seem unopen to being wrong.

• That's probably because I have had a near death experience my damn self

• Therefore you know all the answers right?

• Dawkins is going to have a shock when he dies :D

• what you should be asking is how these people are able to accurately report conversations that they couldn't possible have heard if their mind had remained in the same room as their body.

• pople feel hungry all over the world... do you have a point?