Would you take on this challenge?

Work as many night shift as possible (7 night shifts every week for 5 years) so long as the work is available in order to save up half a million to buy a house with land for cash if you had the chance?

I really don't like the idea of debt or mortgages and I have a chance to do the above. I really feel like doing it and I do understand how much hard work it will be and how it will change my life in the short term but the potential long term benefits are endless in my own mind.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea or do you all think I am crazy for considering this?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd give myself days off, tbh.

I work night shift and I know how much money you can make working nights. It's tempting, but not worth it if you lose 5 years of your life to do it. Not to be morbid, but you may not even be around in 5 years, you know? You have to live life now. Work hard, but play hard too. Give yourself a couple days off a week at least and extend your goal by a year or two. That's my 2 cents.

• 5 nights a week for 6 years would give me around 400,000 in the bank so yeah I can see what you are saying... I would be 35 at the end of that 6 years instead of 34...

Once i had the house i could cut back to working only 24 hours a week and would be earning around 30,000 a year with no mortgage which is a lifestyle i crave. It would give me freedom.

The other option was to join the military for 20 years to save up the same amount... I think 5 to 7 years of civil slog may be a wiser choice. Thank you :)

What Girls Said 3

• i used to work night shift... only 6 days a week... I don't know if i could hang with 7...
    but if thats what you want to do, go for it!!!
    might be really hard on your body... and you won't have time for anything...

• might be worth it.
    if you live that long.

• 5 years is a long time, so personally I wouldn't. I need my gratification to be quicker than that.

But if you can see yourself sticking to it, go for it dude.

What Guys Said 2

• Think of work/life balance that is like saying for next 5 years I don't live, I just exist plus night shifts are way harder.
    Honestly I don't think it is worth it.

• At the moment I work extremely hard for 12 an hour whilst agency people are getting 30 an hour for 1/3 of the work I have to do... it is a slap in the face every time i work and I get nothing for overtime (and i am always having to work 13 or 14 hour days for only 11 hours pay). While I know that there needs to be a work/life balance, at the moment in my 'permanent' job, it sucks.

• 5 years of my lifetime?

tsk tsk