Would you use the term African-American for a white South African who grew up in the US?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 10

• 1. Technically yes
    2. However, I think most people use the word 'African' for those people who have native African features
    3. Hence, I infer that most of those will probably refer to that person as South African (if they knew) than the term 'African American' :)
    4. As of me, it just doesn't matter what race or nationality someone is - so there :D

• If they were a naturalized U. S. citizen, then I can see the argument for calling them African-American. But if they're not citizens of the U. S., then they're not Americans, so the question would be moot. They would be a white foreign national living in the U. S.

• No because, as a caucasian, you are of European descent, not African descent. However, you can claim that you are a South African-American.

• No. If he is native to America, then he would simply be called an "American". It's when one emigrates from another country into the US, wherein he would be called by a hyphenated name - the first part being his country of origin, and the second part his new nationality (American).

• But technically, they ARE African.

• I said ''grew up''

• Oh, so you mean he was born in South Africa and emigrated here? I'm sorry if I misunderstood. If that's the case, he is technically an "African-American"

• It would be correct but confusing LoL

• No, because I don't use the term African-American.

• Afrikaner.

• Lol, see thats where it gets confusing... americans are so retarded , they should just call black people black and not African

Did my question spark this

• Yep, I was going to answer that but I decided to ask this instead

• Exactly. It's confusing and inconsistent. I don't insist on being called Irish- Scottish- English- American, etc. No, I was born here, therefore, I am "American".

• Afmerican :p

• Na they'd be a white South African-American

What Girls Said 4

• You would call them Afrikaner or South African. If someone is from/directly descended from Africa, you'd specify their country or ethnic group/tribe.

Ex. I was born in America and so were my ancestors for at least 6-7 generations. I have no direct ties to Africa so I am African American

• Yes, I would.

• i would not.

• no i wouldn't