Is backpacking through Europe alone super dangerous for a 24 year old female?

THIS IS FOR THOSE THAT HAVE DONE IT AND/OR LIVE IN Europe .

I live in the USA. Obviously I'd be smart about it, not talk to sketchy dudes, and keep out of the known dangerous areas.
So give me your honest opinion.
Thanks!

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's that dangerous, but of course you need to be extra careful when you're backpacking alone. Make sure you're not out alone at night and that you have your cellphone close. Send a message to your parents or a friend every night just so they'll know if something happens to you. Of course there are countries in Europe that are more dangerous than others, but I don't think that it's more dangerous than the U. S.

Also, people who travel alone need to be very social, because making new friends is such a big part of backpacking and it's also of great help to find other people who are travelling.

What Guys Said 10

• I have met during my trips through Europe several girls your age or younger who were traveling alone... and they weren't afraid at all. Of course you should be carefull at some places and especially at night time but the same about in the USA.

If you can make eassily friends you will find someone to spend time with and so you won't be alone anymore. And there are websites where you can find a travelbuddy if you don't want to travel alone

• There are millions of 24 yo girls in Europe . About all of them will live to ca 80

• you will be fine as long as you have you wits about you and be aware whats around you and try and blend in.
    we're not that bad this side of the world

• As long as you stick to Western Europe I don't think it's more dangerous than in the US. Hell, probably even less dangerous! But of course don't do silly stuff like hitchhiking without at least a companion or two.

• It depends what country.

• I don't think it would be dangerous Europe sounds like a civilized place.

• Avoid big train stations at night and don't trust people who offer to help you.

• Better watch out for sketchy women too...

Ugh...

• It's always dangerous for a girl to be alone (why did you say female in your question, sounds weird).

• Western Europe is not dangerous. I have female friends who have done it. You just need common sense.

What Girls Said 4

• Dude, ask all these questions under ONE whole question. Stop making sub-questions. Good lord.

But to answer your question, yes. If you don't know what danger signs to look out for and you don't know how to properly defend yourself, of COURSE it's dangerous. It's dangerous for anybody without prior knowledge. Especially somewhere foreign to you.

Your best bet is to always act like you've got someone you're with, never admit to being alone.

• It's not dangerous if you know what you're doing.

• Only if you go to non-western places. Otherwise you're fine. Go to Amsterdam by the way.
    Just have good common sense and maybe look out at night at some sketchy places like some neighborhoods in London or Paris for example.

• don't agree with the part about east Europe , i think it is also safe enough there

• @vekin depends where you are. Like Polen or Czech is pretty safe, but I wouldn't have survived it in Istanbul last year if my dad wasn't there with me.
      It also quite makes a difference if you're a blonde or not in some countries. Sounds stupid, but it's really true.

• don"t see istanbul really as Europe honestly... but i am glad your dad was there fir u.
      was indeed thinking about countries like czech and poland...

• I would think it would be more dangerous for you than a male.