Girls, do feminists care about men?

I understand that feminism is about women's equality and therefore will always focus on women but recently, with things like Emma Watson's speech at the UN (I know it's not that recent but I've came across a few things that have got me thinking), I've wondered if feminists actually care about men. Do they see them as the enemy? Do they think they need to punish men for sexism?

Do they think men will benefit from women's equality or is it all about women and men have to sacrifice?

I'm asking girls specifically as there's 100s of bitter guys on here who'll rant if I give them a chance.

20

Most Helpful Girl

• Feminists do care about men, rather a great deal. Men are not the enemy in the sense that they must be punished - they're the enemy in that they profit from the imbalance between the sexes and often are blind to the dangers and damage it does to the rest of us.

Sexism isn't just the product of men; it's a product of our societal structure. In our society, we are predisposed to giving men more opportunities. These opportunities are still open to women, but they often have to work three times as hard to be perceived as having reached the same level of expertise as a man of similar abilities.

There's also an important caveat to this that I want you to grasp if nothing else: there is a huge difference between being accountable and being to blame. Men are not to blame for sexism itself - they didn't start it. They are, however, responsible for making things better (just as we all are).

Men WILL benefit from feminism because the system will benefit everyone, instead of just straight, rich white men.

• I'm sorry for not replying to this way, way WAYYY earlier but do I mind if I ask you something else?

Do you think that men should be involved in the movement then? I would like to help achieve gender equality but two things are stopping me:

1. I'm not sure if I would be welcome or if I'd distract from the main issues as I'm not as aware as women are when it comes to first hand experience of sexism.
      2. I'm not sure that feminism has the intention of addressing the issues that I do feel men face and of doing anything in the (few) areas where men are at a disadvantage..

• Message me and we'll discuss it.

What Girls Said 19

• Yes, feminists care about men. They want equality between the genders. Men will benefit from equal rights. Being the socially dominant gender, men will have to sacrifice to gain gender equality, but not near as much as they seem to think they will.

Think: you have 1 cookie. She had 0. There's only the 1 cookie. You have to split it. You now have half a cookie and so does she. But you both now can eat the same amount of cookie. You aren't giving the entire cookie to her. You still have the same amount of cookie that she has.

• But who wants to have less of a cookie? And that's the reason feminism still exists.

• This is a stupid analogy that has no relevance to men and women in the western world (assuming you're from a Western country)
      Why? Because men and women have the same legal rights.

• Except for radical separatists, yes feminists care about men. We care about the issues patriarchy causes for men; like male victims of sexual assault and domestic violence not coming forward, the higher suicide rate in men because of men generally not having as strong a support system as women; men being drafted into the military (as a socialist feminist I don't believe anyone should be drafted into the military). Feminists in fact do a lot more for men that MRAs who appear to expend most of their energy harassing people online

• I understand but I find it hard to know how to 'fit into' feminism. Everytime I hear a debate involving sexism, the guy just seems to get shut down as if he can't have an opinion. Should I just stay out of it?

• I think it's about getting ride of gender roles and all that nonsense and both sexes being equal. I want my brother to be able to cry in public and talk about how much he loves his girlfriend without being harassed as he is as being told he is "pussy whipped". I want my sister to be able to talk about sex and not be slut shamed for doing the same activities as men. I want both sexes to be equal and able to do as they please with equal treatment, socially and economically. That's what I see feminism as.

• Thank you for the answer. :)

• I don't hate men at all. I barely hate anyone evaluate I hate hate. It not spreads intolerance and I can't stand it.
    I live men and I think feminism can help men. I think a lot of things that involve females have a negative connotation. Saying things like "you throw like a girl" means you weak and not strong. So when a guy is feminine he feels that he must change because for some reason being like a girl is a bad thing. And I'm tired of seeing all these boys kill themselves because they're getting called gay in highschool just because they're feminine.

• They do not hate men or want a society of matriarchy. The hate the gender roles, double standards and sexist ideals that stop both genders from becoming equal, and work on trying to change them, benefitting BOTH men and women.

• Do you think feminism can address male issues as well as female issues or would it be better for there to be 2 separate movements?

• feminists do care about men, and yes its about female equality. Which means being equal to to men, not better than. Men are not the enemy, it is the degrading of the female sex and traditional gender roles that are. There are many roles that men would love to take on but like women they are not "allowed" to. This is why with feminism, differences are celebrated and our similarities is what brings us together.

• This is the last time I'll answer one of these questions. I am a Feminist and I do. I do think there are some rights that men never had that they should get and some disparities between the genders should be addressed.

• I care enough to let them go down my pants.

• For the last time. Feminism is about equality. Not female matriarchy.
    Yes, we care about men. I care about everybody. Even the people that probably don't deserve it.

• I understand but I really think this is one of those issues where it's men vs women.

• I've met some pretty amazing men in my life. Men are not inherently evil. Social conditioning causes some people (male or female) to be cruel to women. At its core, feminism combats this.

• Yes, we do. Feminism is a movement that helps both men and women in a society that enforces gender roles on people

• Some do and some don't. In my experience, most do not.

• very much so. There are countless amount of pressure put on men by a system that tries to tell you what is manly and acceptable and what isn't.

• Do you think feminism will actually fix those?

• Yes, I do.

• no they do not

• I believe in equality for both men, women, children, animal etc. and I'm a feminist. Of course there are extreme people as there always are when it comes to political view, but those are very few as far as I know

• we love men and want to spend our lives with you, in respect and love, yes.
    its not a new concept, read some books about revolutionary movements in early 20s century and the role of women.

• I'll keep a look out for books on the subject.

I'm interested in your first point. I didn't think girls looked at it like that (that "they want to spend their lives with us in respect and love").

• I suppose you're right. I just find kt hard to know what I'm supposed to do. I can't be a feminist because, as it's often said, i don't know what it's like. The whole movement seems to analyse mens role and actions while deeming them as outsiders or 'other' as far as i can tell. I'm not sure how i can help or if my help is even wanted or valuable.

• It is valuable, the thing is as i said, there are different kinds of feminist today, many girls dont get the real idea of it and act aggressive towards men, which is incorrect from point of view of feminist girls like me, for example. Im pro equality but mutual respect and lots of communication, trying to understand each other.
      Good luck!

• I think that they are just against harrassement towards women and they do not like to be looked down at. They fight for equal rights, some men are against this, but I think that most of the worlds population of men aren't. And I think you might be one of them? so I do not see why a woman should look down at man who is equal...

• yes we do!!