Americans: Are you ashamed of your rep?

You know the rest of the world sees you as bullies, lacking in intelligence, selfish, greedy, crass and tacky and tyranical. Are you happy with this reputation? Are you aware of it? The world often sees you as an all consuming gas bag monster. Eating the planets resources and buying up anything that opposes it. I once read a book about a world where there was a nuclear incident in the USA and the whole continent was banned from technology. The rest of the world guarded this barren nuclear wasteland to make sure the Americans didn't escape or start building technology again. They were too reckless for the rest of the world. Do you think this might be a vision of the future? That the desire to conquer and destroy and control will lead to your own destruction and eventually you'll nuke yourselvesback to the stone age? When will the US as a whole realise that the way they live is not sustainable? For such a huge and powerful country it seems so dammed short-sighted and petty.

Would love some good old patriotism to set me right here and tell me that I'm wrong, that huge steps are being madein the public consciousness to start being a more forward thinking country. You could lead the world into a bright new age, but instead you are covering the path with oil and making us all slip back down.
Americans: Are you ashamed of your rep?

Great to see such passion and intelligence from the answers. Living up to your rep by not giving a fuck. Well done.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I'm not ashamed of that. I love my country though I dislike our government. I don't condone everything our government does in the world. However, I can't control how people in other countries view us so I see no reason in getting upset about it. Every country has it's good and bad qualities, America included. Every country also has stereotypes about it which do not ring true for every single person in that country. It's impossible to please everyone in the world anyway. People can hate America or our people if they want to, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Like I said, I really have no control over that so, I don't have a strong opinion about it either way.

• Well well done HoneyBee. Thank you for your most awesome answer. Shame others can't take a little negative publicity and turn it around and show how I am wrong.

• Well you are one one the very few who replied with an answer and not just being all angry and indignant.

Also a shout out to Amplify and Climber too, thanks for the responses people.

• Well thank you :)

What Guys Said 32

• Why would they? I'm from Spain and over there they were also seen like you described, but once you come to the US you realize it's all lies, which makes you think if those back home are the real ignorant for believing in this kind of bullshit.
    I've been in the US for a year and a half and I can tell you that all you said is bullshit, all lies.

• Great to have that perspective, how does it differ?

• You are right, the USA is a pig with bows on. Nasty group of boys who seek only profits. The way the laws are written a corporation has the responsibility to make sure it produces a profit for the stockholders, so lying, cheating, stealing are the norm. We call these groups the Republic. They make their money on industries that the bulk of the public can not get involved with, like war. The USA has a very nasty rep, the Republic normally has done business with terroist before they became terrorist and kills off it's business partners, just for the fun of it.

A nuclear issue would be hard to do, we have very few power plants that are nuclear.

The top end of the war machine is ran by the Republican faction and the only way to destroy them would be to mess with simple.

• This is how I view it too, it's a corporation not a country and war and control it's main two avenues of income. Control the population and make a shit load of cash from arming the enemy them starting a war with them.

• You hit the nail on the head.

• Truth is, we're trying, but we're a very young nation and we haven't been around as many of the bigger ones...
    Our identity and our history is still trying to fund itself, and yeah, considering we have so much power, the fact that we haven't developed strong responsibility is alarming.
    The right wing is still influencing us in ways that pull us down, still forcing relugion and old morals onto our futures...
    And corporations have too much power.
    Truth us though, we are progressing even if it's slowly.
    Like I said, we're young and have quite a ways to go, but for our age I think we've made radical progress.
    If you want more positive reception, please acoid some buzz words and don't post a pic of a destroyed flag the day after our Memorial Day. Cheers

• I wanted people to get patriotic, to stand up and defend their great nation like they normally do but Instead I'm met with apathy. Thank you for your response but I don't agree with your statement about having made radical progress for your age.

• Oh poor baby. It is amazing how when things are fine in the world they hate us, but as soon as they have a problem with another country, they need us to come in and save them. It is like a kid that is jealous of his older brother, but when the bully down the street comes after him, screams for his brother to beat up the bully.
    When your the most powerful country in the World a lot of people will be jealous and envious of you. You can't always be the good guy. But you don't want to live in the world that would be if the USA was not keeping the crazy people like North Korea and all those wack jobs in the middle east in check. When you have people that kill others and try to say it is in the name of god? that is so messed up.
    So you best change that attitude missy or maybe we need to come over and kick your country's ass too.
    Amazing how you can say such nasty things but are too afraid to post as yourself. People that post as anonymous, when your entire id is already anonymous are a joke.

• Saving people? Pull your head out of your ass. The last war that USA won the revolutionary war. The American army can barely save themselves.

• Success breeds jealousy. Their revolution was inspired by ours and it failed to come to fruition

• You just always resort to childish name calling and try and hurt people. You are not a very nice nor intelligent person. Why can't you just be a grown up and respond? You just seem to try your hardest to be horrible.

• Gee, is it worth my time to contest anything presented by someone so clearly dead-set on their existing conclusion?

• I am not dead set whatsoever, has anyone read the whole question yet or can you not be bothered to get that far?

Please tell me why my impression is wrong. That isn't sarcasm I want to know.

• Reread what you wrote and tell me with a straight face you aren't simply trying to pick a fight. People like that aren't worth my time.

• I'm not picking a fight, I'm a little disappointed and saddened that none of you can be bothered to explain why this rep is wrong. It's obvious you are acting very defensive from the outset because you don't agree that this reputation is fair. Then why don't you just take two minutes to explain to me how it is misinformed? I've not been rude to anyone replying, I'm not attacking anyone who is expalining anything.

• Oh man.. too bad I'm Canadian..

• I'm not a nationalist, so you can't really get me fired up by saying things about the country I happened to be born into. That being said, I can't control anything America does. I can only really worry about what I do and how I carry myself in daily life.

• Never met a black person who was a nationalist.

• It's not like I don't appreciate America for what is. I have served this country and appreciate others who have made the decision to do so. But I am neither proud nor ashamed of being one of it's citizens. Most of the people who hate the U. S. seem to terribly overlook the faults of their own country or are just looking for someone to blame. Sometimes the U. S. does play a negative role in a foreign country, but what can I do about that? Absolutely nothing. I treat people with respect and kindness. I let my actions in everyday life speak for themselves.

• Don't ask me, I just live here👍
    img.pandawhale.com/...anson-dont-care-gif-lMgn.gif

• The general reaction seems to be apathy or 'Other countries are bad too y'know!'. I shall add you to the Couldn't-give-a-fuck pile.

• That's the Pentagon attitude, typical of teenagers, don't care about anyting but themselves.. but they learn that from older people.

So many think they are above any criticism: feminists, gays, etc. etc.

• We're all those things and more. We're among the most hated countries, while at the same time we're among the most adored. Strange, but do you disagree?

Most American's have no clue how the rest of the world views us because they don't care about much beyond themselves and their own. This is also true of most people in the world. The biggest difference is there is no other country whose actions effect the rest of the world more, and no other country less effected by the actions of other countries.

Those of us who do see our reputation tend to react differently. Some hate the US too, many are apathetic, some lash out like you have seen, others wonder if the world this day and age needs a "superpower" to act as cop and if so, who would do better? We may have our answer in fifty years or so. Hope you're teaching your kids Chinese.

• Who would be better as a super cop? Just about anyone else! I agree with the other points mostly though.

I'm not having kids, I'm thinking of the dammed planet unlike the rest of the Human race who seems to think we need MORE people.

• That's one way to look at it. I'd suggest you think on it a bit and consider which countries really could do a better job. Be specific, and then ask yourself what that country would have to do in order to acheive that status and how they would be viewed by the rest of the world after a few decades "in charge."

• As an American, yes, I am embarrassed about my nation. We once were the greatest country in the world (in my opinion) but not anymore. I will say this though, and it may not be much, but I have seen a lot of people my age doing things to make a difference in the world. Making things to help make the way we live more efficient. It's not much, but in the long run it could amount to a lot more. My generation receives a lot of criticism, but we aren't as bad as we are made out to be, not all of us anyways.

• Are you ashamed of whatever country you hail from?

I see solar water heating systems on every other house near mine, I haven't seen a single nuclear plant in my entire life so far, and every country has a desire to conquer all.

We have a lot of imagination over here, so stories like that get churned out by the millions. I've seen several Japanese animes with similar storylines as well. A good story needs a villain that everybody would understand, so it's usually the country's government. Our stories must be more popular then yours I guess.

• That's great news that you see so many renewable water systems, is it a thing which is being taken up by lots of builders? Are renewable technologies understood and adopted by your community? Is there a public responibility felt for energy consumption?

• But what about normal people, do they recycle? Do they save energy consciously? Is it something people care about?

• My entire extended family recycles. My mother is always yelling at me for leaving my TV on when I go to sleep, even though she leaves her computer on 24/7, which uses far more power then my high efficency LED TV.

I don't have many friends and I don't go out a lot, so I can't really tell you how many others live. Sorry.

• I disagree almost wholeheartedly.
    The U. S. Has made plenty of mistakes, what country hasn't?
    But we've been at the forefront of some of the most good in the world.
    I'll just list off a couple of our good points.
    The U. S. has protected countries around the globe.
    We've led the way in tons of medical and other scientific discoveries.
    The U. S. leads the way in willing charitable donations (not GOVERNMENT donations, but donations made by people personally and willingly).
    And as for the U. S. using war as an avenue of income? That's laughable. Going to war has done nothing but topple dictatorial regimes and bankrupt us.
    I know you think we're dumb but you have to at least give us enough credit to realize that war is not profitable for the nation, the government, or even the majority of companies.
    Good day.

• Every time a country gets in trouble we go to their Aid
    there is good and bad in every country , people are
    jealous of Americans.. What America needs to do
    is put a ban on only certain countries can live in America.

• Hate us cuz they ain't us. The rest of the world can eat a dick.

• it doesn't bother me lol.

• Tell that too my parents who fled a European dictatorship and set up a new life here.

They're not going back

• Also, that's not america, you're describing, that's Putin's Russia

• The book was FICTION, I wasn't referring to it as an incident. Are you being deliberately silly? and of course I know what Chernobyl is, I was alive when it happened. I actually remember it. Why are you making things up to make me look stupid while never once addressing a single point? I'm not blocking you, all you have to do is not reply. You don't have anything to say so that shouldn't be too difficult.

• I've already said what needed to be said. More importantly, the fact that you're referencing a ficticious book as one of your main arguments is completely stupid and illogical. For the recorded I did address your points, you are too blinded by your agenda to consider them.

I love my country, I have a wonderful life here and blessed with an amazing lifestyle. I don't have to justify anything to you.

Also you never answered my question on godfatherfan's opinion, which part of Europe are you from? The asses we kicked or the asses we saved?

• If the rest of the world occupied the moral summit then perhaps I'd be put out by what they thought of Americans en masse. As it were, the rest of the world is a racist, violent, misogynistic, xenophobic clusterfuck of humanity that only holds together because you all are too broke to afford the good weapons. That's why every foreign national who's not an oligarch or related to an oligarch is breaking their asses to get to our shores.

• Care to answer any of the points raised or just compare yourself to other countries like everyone else.

• You were trying to make a point? Looks suspiciously like trolling to me.

• 0|0
  • You guys are so cute, thinking that your jealous indignation has any real impact on how Americans conduct our lives.

• *standing ovation*

• No country is innocent and America just became the best one at it. Boo hoo.

• I'm not discussing innocence or other countries, I'm asking about the USA. Other counties are being smart enough to realise that this consumerist was of living, and relying on fossil fuels has a very very limited time span. Countries are making huge step to change the way their society views these problems. I don't see this in the states. I would really like to be told I'm wrong though, I'd really like that.

• With reasons though. Telling me I'm wrong with no reason is just lazy.

• I know we are not what we used to be, but we are still one of the strongest nations in the world. they might see us in a bad light, but they don't want to fuck with us.

• At least were not France who runs more than 75% of it's power on nuclear energy.

• "At least we're not France" dude, every country in the world (bar France) has that liberty. None of us are as bad as the French!

• I love America and fck whoever says sht about us including Americans.

• Actually, FUCK WHOEVER SAYS SHIT ABOUT US and that includes Americans if they do shit on their country.

• Thanks for that insightful and educated response.

• I live in America but I feel very little loyalty to it.

• Not really. I'm not the one that created the reputation.

• You live with it though.

• No 😂 not at all

• So in other words people are jealous of Americas power. I guess you may not realize how Americans view the rest of the world. We would have to have respect for another country before we gave a shit about what they thought about us. We simply don't care enough about the rest of the world to worry about what they think.

I am deeply disappointed by my country but it is about local issues. eminent domain allowing companies to force people off their land, the return of debtors prison under the name "contempt of court", cops being able to abuse the law in many different ways. These are the things I am ashamed of.

I don't care if someone in another country is upset that America tries to get the best deal for ourselves. Every country is trying to get the best deal for themselves. America just has more power so is more successful.

I am by no means a patriot, but all countries with power act like bullies. Why don't you ask Ukraine about how they feel about Russia? Or why not ask Tibet how they view China? The only difference between America and every other country when it comes to international policy is power. Every other country is just as greedy.

• Well because there isn't a huge Ukranian membership on GaG so it wouldn't get many responses. GaG is predominantly American so that is why I asked.

It has nothing to do with jealousy, why do people use this childish reason for criticism? It's so rarely jealousy.

And fine, I get it - you don't care about the rest of the world or respect it. Nice attitude.

• My point about bringing up Ukraine was to show that once Russia got enough power they acted like bullies. When it comes to countries international policies, it has more to do with power than morality.

Yes I agree not caring about the rest of the world is a nice attitude. It isn't like I have the power to change anything, so worrying about it won't do anyone any good. I just worry about my day to day life and let others do the same.

• What? But doesn't the world know only one thing about us? ... that we are "free"... I thought the world only wants to attack us because we are. free. I thought it was our "freedom" that causes all the envy and reaction.

• Free to do what you like as long as they approve and can watch you do it, and tax you for the privilege.

• Like every other modern civilization on the planet?

• @Amplify yep!

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 9

• okay #GENERALISATION115 even though i know ur a fcxkin troll.

"Would love some good old patriotism to set me right here and tell me that I'm wrong, that huge steps are being madein the public consciousness to start being a more forward thinking country"

you crazy. u actually crazy, and i dont think u realise how offensive that image is to some loyal americanos out there. ur obviously looking for a reaction and now that you've gotten some, imma make sure this gets removed.

@yourfutureex can u do something please? lol.

• Calm down, it's a question. Why don't you get all worked up about something that matters instead of this? All this has done is make me think that the US people don't care at all about other countries. None of you bar Catlady are able to take a bit of HYPOTHETICAL criticism. How are you going to have my perfectly valid question removed? There is nothing wrong with it except you don't appear to have the intelligence to counter argue or bring anything to the table.

This whole site is made of generalisations so why should mine get removed, because it is a bit anti-USA? Talk about selective censorship.

• So, I agree that Americans have a bad reputation. As a Canadian, I can't dispute this. People hear my accent when I'm overseas and I am the first to stress that I'm not American, but in fact Canadian.

That said, I don't think that there is much anyone can really say or do at this point to dispel the negative image the US has created for itself. Let's face it, that whole "we're the best country in the world! Freedom! Hamburgers!" thing is really annoying. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of people that want to change the US for the better. The difference is, that these actions get less press in the news media than when some dumb American fucks shit up.

• Nice story. Two personal remarks:
    First: Times I visisted the US, there are huge diffgerences in mentality between the two coasts and the inner. The coasts are more liberal and have world saving thoughts. The inner part still believes they can do anything they want (generally speaking).
    Second: I don't like patriotism. Love for other people does not end at borders. Borders are artificial and made by people focussing on power and money. Borders and nationalism are often the source for racism and hate stimulated by the people who want more money and power.

• I agree on all points Climber, the patriotism part was supposed to get them to be proud of their country, tell me what's great about it, why the rep is wrong and how real Americans aren't like that, that they are empathetic humans who do care about the rest of the world and their enormous impact upon it. Instead I have got people spitting dummy's out and trying to have my question removed. I was actually genuinely looking forward to hearing from people all about these wonderful things, instead I get insulted and reported. I don't take offence at that but I sure am disappointed.

• I don't care.

• 😅We got downvotes

• I'm not even bothering with this ignorance.

• No, you're not bothering. I really want someone to bother and reply. My comment about No surprise was posted before the downvotes comment so it wasn't in response to that.

You're a smart girl so you're just being lazy and flippant by not answering. Why don't you tell me why I am wrong, tell me why the points I raised were wrong and misinformed. I would LOVE to know I'm wrong, I don't want a country like the one described above to actually exist, it's an awful idea.

• You claim that you asked this question because you wanted people to stand up for their country. To be patriotic. But that's not true. You want to get people riled up by attacking everything they say. You already have your mind made up about Americans and even the most patriotic person here won't change it. So what's your point?

• no I don't have my mind made up, none of you care when it's posed in other ways, you just don't care enough to comment so I made the title a little more eye catching. All of the US people who have replied have done absolutely nothing to counter argue. All you've done is what you usually do and get all uppity and offended by someone daring to ask you a question about your great nation. I'm surprised at you joining in on this too.

• You asked a question, I gave an opinion? What's there to be surprised about? Because I usually ignore these types of questions? Well today I didn't. At the end of the day, I'm an American. And nobody's counterarguing because there's no point. You can say that you don't have your mind made up all you want, but I think it's pretty clear.

• I'm surprised you're acting so hurt like the rest of the angry people here. That's what I'm surprised about. I'm surprised you have just judged me a ton without knowing anything about me, that isn't usually like you. Also you just haven't bothered to answer the question at all.

You've assumed a lot about me. I thought you were better than that. There was nothing deceitful or tricky about my question, unlike 90% of the people on here I actually mean what I write and I meant every word I wrote. Shame so many of you are so easily offended and unable to defend yourselves with any sound argument. Just insults instead.

• We have a flawed system that is continually getting worse. All the corruption that runs through the veins of this country make it what it is. It feels to me that it is so deep that unless someone finds a way to expose it to the world we will do what you said and consume or destroy ourselves or maybe the whole world. :-/

• That's exactly what I fear, and it all hides behind that declaration. It is used to control people, not free them. The whole "democracy" is a joke to other countries. It's obvious whoever has the best connections and most money controls the country. Consumerism is the religion of choice. It scares the shit out of me, I'm almost glad I won't live to see it reach it's height and implode under it's own sense of self importance.

• It's so sad isn't it. It's not as if this doesn't go on in other countries but there seems to be so much more outrage when it does. The US seems to be run by men who were frat brothers and who just want money and to scratch their frat brothers backs. There is no love for the American people, I feel like you are all just a commodity. An asset.

• Eventually the world will see the cancer for what it is and get rid of it. How that happens will depend on how much power is amassed before that. Like you said. I am glad I won't be there when it happens

• im not at all.

• I was born and raised here.
    I don't hate the country because of what it offers but the world is right.
    The government has its issues but the people/society, for lack of a better term, suck.
    It's all getting worse; the greed, the crass behavior, the selfishness, and on education; don't even get me started.
    The generation I'm unfortunately included in can't even think for themselves. Morals are completely disregarded and everyone's obsessed with sex and how Kim Kardashian and Beyonce always "slay". Do you know there are campaigns telling girls to go run around topless? Topless man, in this dangerous unpredictable world where men can't stop raping women and children... sigh. Some of our "solutions" to social issues are ridiculous.

Ugh there is just too much to say.

And the part that kills me the most is despite everything, the people here really believe that they're better based off of other countries problems. Better as a country, maybe, but as people? HELL NO

On the upside, we're a lot more accepting than other countries (the acceptance doesn't really go that far but we're consistent with portraying how we're just one great happy melting pot). I find myself relating and befriending foreigners and people with outside backgrounds more than those who aren't. There are a lot of freedom and opportunities to make something out of yourself but that's it.

I feel bombarded with stupidity every damn day. I'd leave but I'm 19, college is my only option till then

• 'Better as a country, maybe, but as people? HELL NO'

Excellent point, at what cost is your country's success coming? My country is the same, everyone has assumed I think my country is awesome and America sucks, I don't. I'm ashamed of what my country has become and I'm scared of how it seems to be heading. I'm not going to stay here if I can possibly avoid it.

• Wow that's a lot of pressure to represent the opinion of millions I've never even met. I am not a politician nor an ambassador. I am an individual who came to this country ten years ago and now I am a citizen. I personally think that it is impossible to attribute blame solely to one country since humanity is the main source of strife for its own issues. What about China? Who is responsible for the world's largest population? If you even took the time to read about American progress in lowering carbon gas emissions, you would realize that we are far from the world's worst offenders. And what book did you read this in? What scientific journal for blaming all of mankind's problems on one country are you citing from?

Newsflash. No country is perfect (except maybe Finland). Yes, we have our own human rights violations and nuclear arsenal just as other countries like Russia do. The worst thing you can do is put us on a pedestal and blame "fat, lazy Americans" for messing up the world. Get over yourself, and stop being so simple minded.

• I am not blaming one country, nor am I saying these issues are only in the US but just because other countries are bad doesn't mean this one is right.

Did you read to the end of the question where I welcome anyone to show me how this reputation is wrong? I WANT some info about what measures are being made, I want to know that these issues are in the public conscious, that the American citizens actually care. That is exactly what I want from this question.

• I don't want to google and look up things, I want to know if actual real US citizens care and make a conscious effort to change the way their society thinks and acts.

• Then you will most likely not find the answer to your question here. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the Internet is not an accurate representation of any nation's population. I personally care, but I can't speak for an entire population. If you truly want to know, you'll have to visit and see what people do rather than ask what people think. My own conscious effort is in trying to answer your question thoughtfully instead of trolling like everyone else. I have always taught my students to create change in any way they can by encouraging environmental responsibility and becoming globally minded citizens. In order to get your answer, you have to speak to individuals and then make your own determination based on the whole. I hope my contribution helps your analysis.