Would you agree with me if I said that Americans made up the 'hispanic' race?

Would you? Because in Europe , the race hispanic isn't seen as a race. South-American people are white or black to us or mixed for the mixed people ofc (rep). Now why would Americans make up a race?;))

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know. My girlfriend is Puerto Rican, and her father is a sociology professor, who also deals a lot with labels of this nature. He actually thinks "Hispanic" is offensive, as it suggests origins in Spain, and many "Hispanic" people actually have African origins. One of his major focuses is actually studying racism within the light and dark skinned Latino community. So I guess you could make an argument for Hispanic not being a race, per se. But I'm just some white dude, what the hell do I know, haha.

• Thats pretty interesting! Maybe theyre gonna come up with another new race 'afro-hispanic'
      Thanks for ur answer

• No problem! Haha, actually, there is an "Afro-Latino" demonym that he's find of using, and for a while, since he has dark-ish skin (but still looks like whatever most of accept as Latino) he was claiming to be Afro-Latino. My girlfriend was like "shut up, Papi, you're not african😒" 😂😂😂

What Guys Said 11

• Hispanic refers to people from Hispania, the Roman name for the Iberian Peninsula, and obviously people descended from them (which are the ones you encounter in the USA, generally). And generally I think it refers to the culture groups that emerged out of the Visigothic migration to the Iberian Peninsula. So Portuguese, Galician, Catalan, 'Castillian' Spanish, Andalusian. I think it would cover Basque as well, though I believe they predate the Visigoths.

Don't think of it as a 'race' in and of itself, it's a larger racial grouping, like "Black" covering such disparate ethnicities as people descending from Bantu, Manden, Songhai... even Berber or Semitic in some cases.

They are not 'making up' a race... Hispania is a real location, it refers to something real. The culture groupings there are real. People really descended from people that originated there, especially in the "Spanish New World". It is simply a grouping of convenience. If Europe doesn't need to differentiate them, it won't. If the USA does, because they make up a distinct group with particular background similarities, language needs, and cultural differences, then it will use the descriptor.

• It's not a scientific term, of course, and many 'Hispanics' don't have any Spanish DNA at all...

But nearly all commonly used ethnic descriptions are at LEAST as unscientific. 'White', for example, what the heck is that?

• I never thought about this before, but it makes sense to me. It's a very American thing to do to make something up just to have something new to force upon the rest of the world.

• Hispanic isn't a race anywhere, not in the United states either, some people are just ignorant and think that all ethnic groups are races.

Hispanic isn't a race, but it isn't made up recently either. Hispanic was an adjective first, not a noun. You might say "look at that beautiful Hispanic pottery" or something like that. Hispanic used to describe people is only common in the United states, and it literally means "a Spanish speaking person living in the United states" that's why you won't hear it said elsewhere

• A Lot of people don't know the difference between a race, ethnicity and nationality. They think they're synonms for the same thing and hispanic fits into all of them

• nope u are wrong... many europeans r hispanic actually

• We don't call it hispanic, we call that Spanish xD
      And people you'd call hispanic, we'd call latino or south American...
      Americans are the ones who started calling them Hispanic

• *but maybe you mean they're of latin decend?

• Yes i guess they r

• Hispanic sort of means native American + Spanish ancestry but Spain wouldn't count as Spanish.

• No native American isn't the same as hispanic. A lot of native Americans speak Spanish and live in South America, but that doesn't make them hispanic... right?

• I mean Spanish ancestry

• And I'm purely guessing here.

• I would not!

• While it's an odd name, I think the group under consideration is not a white/black mix, they are more a native American (north or south)/white/black mix. Probably in that order, from most to least.

• 1|0
  • I would not.

What Girls Said 5

• Well, we don't officially recognize "Hispanic" as a race. If you ever fill out paper work that asks about racial background in the US, there's an option for "non-hispanic white" and "non-hispanic black." For practical purposes it is easier to label people as hispanic.

• Isn't that due to the mexican indians helping to contribute to the current look of the 'hispanics? with white people (Germans mainly)

• Hispanic isn't a race anywhere, that's why you have a Hispanic category and than you have to choose race. In Europe, people from Spain are just Europeans they are white and very proud of that. some call them Latin but so is Italians, French, Romanians, Portuguese. some of my family is from Spain no-one calls themselves Hispanic, I speak Spanish and I don't call my self Hispanic.

• i dont think so.

• I'm German and I agree with you