Christians, What's The Best Version Of Bible For a Beginner To Read?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 17

• I've used the New American Bible (Fireside Study Edition). It includes footnotes and brief histories of each of the books of the Bible. I also have the version that @G-Daz mentioned. I had to use that one for a class in college.

• The Old Testament, really gives you a good sense of the morality behind Christianity and the absurdity.

• its obvious you are a butthurt ex christian with your "rebellious' satanic symbols and all. let the child go to the light and dont try to interrupt her journey. even you that rebelled aren't lost. you can choose to come back any day you want. but when you are at peace. your heart is filled with rage and pain at the moment.

• oh and by the way, dude i'd recommend you put a prettier avatar. a composer, a scientist, a nice painting, something nice. its not very flattering to have this bannal picture. i say it friendly, just a little advice. now if you like it, i guess it can't be helped... .

• @fiodor99 thank you for your input

• The only version? King James Version. If you don't understand a certain word, get a dictionary. I personally don't trust anything other than the KJV bible.

• What's so different about KJV Bible?

• When James I ascended the throne of England in 1603, he found himself heir to the religios turmoil and confusion that had characterized the entire 16th century. In order of bringing order out of chaos, he called a meeting of churchmen early the following year. Virtually the only fruitful suggestion it brought forth was a proposal that a new translation, acceptable and useful to the entire Church, be made of the Holy Scriptures.

To this the King readily agreed, stipulating the work to be entrusted to the best scholarship in the land. The chosen band of 47 clergymen and lay scholars set as their purpose a version so accurate, so simple and so sincere "that the scripture may speak like it selfe, as in the language of Canaan, that it may be understood."

The Group divided into 6 companies, each taking part of the text. Each man worked independently. Then, as a company, they considered their individual efforts until all were in agreement. As sections were completed, they were handed over>

• (oops) ... They were handed to other companies for criticism. Finally, a committee of 2 members from each company harmonized the entire undertaking.

Of the beloved translation which they produced, it has been said, "No other book of any kind has affected the entire life of the English- speaking peoples" With it's ageless and majestic grandeur, it's lyric beauty, and it's matchless poetry, it has not only set the patters of our language, but has inspired and influenced and influenced much of the best in our literature.

Within 40 years of it's introduction in 1611, the King James Version had displaced all others extant. In the affections of millions it has never yielded that predominate place. Indeed it continues year after year to be the one written source of inspiration of which men turn in their darkest hours of need as well as in their most radiant moments or joy...

The End

• The book of Judas translated from the dead sea scrolls.

• Actually the two aren't related. The dead sea scrolls were one of the most complete manuscripts of the old testament.

the "gospel of judas" (known as the apocryther) was carbon dated to 300ad is actually supposed to be an alternative to the canonical gospels of the new testament

• Ah yes.. derp.. I actually knew that. I'm about half way through reading the Old Testament Pseudepigrapha and have been thinking a lot about how it relates to the new testament/ Christianity so that's probably how I got it mixed up, thanks for pointing it out!

It's all rather fascinating to be honest, I'm not even religious.

• the grand design by stephen hawkings worth a read. Balance out the bible with some scientific arguments for things.

• Pick your choice here: www.biblehub.com

• The Picture Bible.

• I'd stay away from KJV. My preference is NRSV with commentary.

• English i guess :p

• I think the New International Version has good language. Its not too difficult to understand like some of the older translations. Good luck!

• The NRSV study Bible.

• Uh... the children version? LOL

• The New American Bible.

• kids bible I don't know what its called
    kjv is better tho

• For a beginner, I'd stick with NIV or ASV. Easy enough to understand. :)

• Do you know ancient greek, aramaic, and hebrew? if not king james is decent but not perfect.

• Queen James Bible! lmao

What Girls Said 7

• 1. ESV is best
    2. NRSV is second best - get an older version of the NRSV - maybe at least 20 years old
    3. KJV is the third best
    4. ASV is fourth best
    4. NIV is the last option

Don't bother reeding douby rheims or youngs literal translation. They are so distorted so as to be completely useless and even harmful to your spiritual growth. Get a newer version of ESV if you want to read an ESV version.

• I would recommend a study Bible. The one I have is the NIV but it's split into the Bible on one side of the page and on the other side, it has passages which explain each of the verses if you don't understand something. Bible's like that are very helpful for anyone, beginner or not.

• I personally read my bible in NIV form because it's easier to understand and comprehend. They're are youth bibles also and learning bibles as well.

• I personally recommend the King James version. It's English translation and very easy to understand.

• Youth bible👍🏼 same meanings but words it in a way thats easier to understand

• Don't read the Bible.

• The first testament.