Why are so many veterans homeless?

Most Helpful Guy

• It’s a hard adjustment for the vets that are returning to civilian life. I know this from experience. I was fortunate enough to have a loving and supportive family to help me get on my feet. A lot of vets unfortunately don’t have that and are left too their own devices. The VA is understaffed, underfunded and run by idiots, so the vets aren’t getting the help they need for issues like PTSD. Most jobs in the military don’t transfer well out here in the civilian sector so many vets don’t have any skills that can be used out here, so finding a job that pays decent is hard. It’s a sad situation for all of us.

8 year Marine vet

• That's true unfortunately, things like driving a tank and shooting machine guns don't translate very well into the civilian job market.

can't they get some schooling and earn a degree while they are on active duty to help with that though for when they get out?

• So many don't take advantage of the G. I. Bill? Or they wait until after their service to get a degree since they can focus on it fully then?

• Yes, most vets have to wait until they get out to go back to school so they can better focus on working towards their degree. Even then a lot of them have other demons they need to battle and aren’t in any shape to be going to college and studying. Every one I knew that tried to get schooling done when I was on active duty eventually gave up because there just wasn’t enough time between deployments to go. It never failed that a month later they had to drop their courses because they were on the list to deploy again. Once the war on terror kicked off everyone knew better than to even try.

What Girls Said 7

• It could be for a variety of reasons.

-Trouble readjusting to civilian life (can't find and keep a stable job)
    -PTSD, anxiety, or other mental issues.
    -Substance abuse possibly due to trouble coping with whatever they experienced in the military
    -Possibly a lack of family or other social support networks
    -Limited access to affordable housing or health care
    -There seems to be a social stigma in the military when it comes to asking for help. Meaning, a lot of members of the military won't seek counseling for their issues or ask for help once they come home. They may fear they will be viewed differently.

• Because the state doesn't take care of them. They're just human trash to them after they have done everything to protect their country... So hypocritical...

• post dramatic stress disorder leads to drug/alcohol use leads to homeless. Can you imagine having o kill people or watch your friends blow up beside you?

• Thanks Obama!

• Because their country is messed up.

• Some don't know what to do after they return home, and other's have no other set skills. Some of them are so emotionally and mentally maimed when they return, they cannot hold a steady job, or turn to drugs and alcohol to numb themselves to the tragedies they witnessed. Some of them are screwed over by the government as well.

• Once they retire they find it hard to find work.

What Guys Said 8

• Because this country doesn't care about them to begin with IMHO, they're nothing but hired guns who're paid to kill under the false pretense of "I KILL FOR MY COUNTRY" when in reality they're probably killing __ for their land, resources, bragging right or some other dumb shit -_-.

That is the 1 thing that pisses me off about this whole topic. And no I'm not PRO WAR for the record, but ya know when I see 1 of these VETS out here down and bad. After they've lost arms, legs, hell some of them have even lost eyeballs on top of being traumatize from the war itself

So I'll ask them "Sir was it really worth it?" and they'll all usually say something along the lines of "NO WAY BROTHER THESE MFS CAN'T EVEN GIVE ME A NEW PROSTHETIC LEG/ARM". So then I'll say this to them "So basically you fought for a country that isn't fighting for you now, right?" and more times than not they'll agree -_- #SadButTrue i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-add-text_15.gif

All I'm saying is this if a VETERAN asks for help HE SHOULD GET IT OVER ANYONE ELSE IN THIS COUNTRY but a sick/disabled person, right? I mean hell they risked their life to protect their own so-called country, so shouldn't they at least be given a decent job, free fast food LOL and a fucking house... that's the least that we could do right?

• Don't give me that BS OMG WE COULDN'T AFFORD A NEW ARM FOR __ BECAUSE THEIR INSURANCE DOESN'T COVER IT -_-

Once again money > life it seems -_-

• I dont know why but Its sad and It should not be allowed they should have houses just given to them for free.

• veterans? explain from which field?

• Hmm there is only one I can think of and that is the fact the VA sucks it should be dismantled and re-built. Smaller organizations are taking better care of the veterans.

• Mental illness.

War is hell, as they say.

• Not all the folks holding signs are really vets...

• Because many soldiers were drop outs or nobodies who were treated like dogs

• Can't get jobs.