Why do westerns these days suck so much?

Old western movies and tv shows just had something about them that was so good.. I think it might be because they arnt alowed to ride the horses as hard as they did back in the day. Damn you PETA!

• New westerns
  • Old westerns

Most Helpful Girl

• Do you mean 'westerners'?

• lol I didn't say westerners... I said Westerns.. Its a genre

• Haha I realized that afterwards. I'm sorry.

• Its okay lol. I upvote anyway

What Girls Said 4

• They are not as popular these days.. But Clint Eastwood has made some good ones lately

• Maybe it was the authenticity of how westerns were filmed back then. Or it could be the actors that played in them were good at what they did.

• old westerns!

• Give me a good John Wayne western or one like lonesome dove and I'm set. The ones now aren't even watchable.

What Guys Said 9

• then watch only old :p

• Yeah... debates about stuff sucks!

• I like both. Old westerns like the old Clint Eastwood ones, and the Terence Hill and Bud Spencer spaghetti westers were very entertaining. The newer ones have put a good spin on things to keep things interesting, even straying into the CGI animation, like Rango...

• They ran out of ideas

• I voted b but I hate the cloths they had in a lot of the old westerns they don't look right to me, the best western I know if is actually a video game Red Dead Redemption I love that game

• Probably because there is no demand for them so no money is allocated to make a "good" western movie. There have been a few good ones in the last ten years, but I wouldn't expect demand to sky rocket anytime soon.

• Watch Django Unchained. That IS A VERY GOOD ONE.

• What counts as a new western?

Is 'Unforgiven' old or new?

• They try to rehabilitate bad guys so there is no one truly bad, and they give the heroes serious flaws that they do not improve, so there's no one to root for or to look to as a role model. Old westerns almost always had flawed heroes who overcame their flaws but writers now think that portraying unchanging, morally troubled antiheroes is a new twist that viewers SHOULD like, so that's what comes out of Hollywood.