How do I build arm strength not build muscle?

hey guys im looking to build my arm strength so i can lift heavy items and saw through wood better for my new job. everything i google is about building muscle for big arms and id rather focus on building strength as im female and that wouldn't look good. i understand i will get some muscle anyway

so far i have push ups and arm curls with small weights are these any good? anything else i can do or anything else better i should do instead?

Most Helpful Guy

• ok guys, strength and size are 2 different things so stop saying they are the same. In basic terms, to gain size u train heavy with a low rep count. But for more strength, u do a more intensity with a high rep count. But less than for an endurance workout which has even higher reps or static loads. So for u, i would recommend doing higher reps and static loads. So for arms do full bicep curls, half curls for fast twitch muscles, static bicep hold, grip strength, wrist curls, tricep band overhead stretch, kickbacks, etc. U may also need shoulders cos that works closely your arms also. Hope this helps a little.

• thanks so much this was just want i needed! thanks for giving me a proper answer too :)

What Guys Said 8

• I would say you have nothing to worry about.

Lower BMI will show your underlying muscle more, but getting visible gains in size on any one muscle group is quite difficult to do, even if you have the genetic predisposition. That's why body building is a full time profession, combining specifically targeted workouts, huge physical stresses (breaking down to build up), and massive food intake.

More importantly, I think core strength is going to be your limiting factor. Lifting heavy items is more about grip strength and power from the legs. Even if lactic acid is produced mostly in the arms while sawing, over the course of a long day the trunk muscles (those in your torso/midsection) will determine how quickly you tire.

I suggest hitting the jump rope for great coordination and agility conditioning, cardiovascular efficiency improvement, and stability benefits. Then, maybe throw in some HIIT. For weight lifting, if you want to go to a gym and learn proper form from an expert that's great. If you prefer to hit the bodyweight exercises in a prison workout fashion, power to you. I wouldn't overlook isometric exercises for building strength and endurance.

If you really want that farmer boy effect (massive strength but lanky and trim), it takes more time. You could try to avoid fully exhausting your muscles by stopping two or so reps from failure, and by using techniques that allow for smooth, continuous motions (rather than explosive concentric and slow eccentric phases).

Lastly, there are few things more impressive / sexy than a chick who can do good-form pullups (and not just because of the posture benefits of a strong back). :)

• thanks so much for such a great answer :) its a shame i can't repick most helpful!

• Hahaha, no worries. I've had physical jobs before and it can be intimidating. Honestly tho, all the prep in the world won't compare to what you'll gain from doing the job itself. Have patience with yourself and you'll get there. Good luck!

• Two of the strongest women I ever met had normal muscle bulk. Weight or resistance band training with lighter weights / less resistance plur higher reps could be the key.

• There's 2 ways you can become stronger.
    1 : A more efficient central nervous system that allows you to better use your muscles.
    2 : More muscles.

1: You get that from strength training , which inevitably leads to the body adapting to the training and starts growing more muscles.

You're asking how to fly without wings here.

• i said i understand i will get more muscle anyway im not bothered about that, what im asking is what are the workouts i can do to strengthen my arms for everyday manual labour work because the only things i can find on the internet are the workouts to get huge arms for showing off. i dont want to follow an incorrect workout designed to maximise the size of the muscle for buff gym dudes i wanted advice on how to strengthen my arms in a proper way.

• You do progressive calisthenics:
    http://pccblog.dragondoor.com/

Or this program:
    http://i.imgur.com/zw13Y.jpg

• brilliant help thanks so much for the link and diagrams too! :)

• You are so welcome :) Have a lot of fun! :)

• strength comes from muscle.

• 300 push ups every 2 days

• Low reps. Heavy weights. Try the basic 5x5 (5sets5reps)

• They're the same!

• yes i know i just meant everything i look at is building big muscles for show not focusing on strengthening your muscles for everyday life. i dont want to use the same workouts as a big guy who wants to look buff i want workouts that would help me with the sorts of jobs i listed above

What Girls Said 0