Is this too awkward of an age difference?

We're both really mature and are working to establish ourselves as successful young adults.

We've been friends for two years and he's made it known that he wants to be exclusive. Although we both like each other there's a bit of a problem. There's not so much a significant gap in our ages, it is in our social standings.
I'm a 19 year old girl. I will be beginning my third year of college later this year. He is an 18 year old guy and will be a senior in high school later in the year.
(He would've graduated this year if he hadn't of flunked in elementary school). It's weird because I normally don't even go for anyone relatively close in age to me, I normally like and go for guys who are like five to fifteen years older than me. But anyway, would there appear to be a problem?

Most Helpful Guy

• As you say actual age difference no problem but both at different stages of your life, I will say complicated but insurmountable.

• So ultimately would you say that you believe that it wouldn't work then?

• As time goes on in age... a year or three difference will become less and less important. Friends come and go. Its only you that has to live for yourself.

• I agree now! Thank you! I must live for me.

What Guys Said 8

• Who cares if you're older than he is. Age is just a number. I actually set up both friend of mine who's 26 now and she's 29, they just got married in March 2015

• Do you think it's different when people are older though?

• No it won't be. Age doesn't matter as much as long as both of you love one another provided you're both legal and also even when the girl is the older one.

• Okay. Well then I guess it'll be okay considering that we are both legal:p

• is this an age difference? only 1 year?

• Yes... more or so I was focusing on the gap of where we are in life... I will be twenty soon and he turned 18 not too long ago. So like maybe a year and a half.

• I wouldn't give it a second thought. You have both reached the age of majority so there are no legal issues and you are age appropriate.

As far as social standing, people have been crossing that line for centuries.

• Okay. I guess I have absolutely no reason to fret.
      It's apparently not nearly as big of a deal as I thought!

• I don't see a problem. Follow the heart, not the head.

• Really? Even though I'm a lot further in my educational career.

• I wouldn't look down upon you for getting involved with someone behind you in school. That seems silly to me.
      And look at it like this: in a few years you'll both be done school and it won't matter at all.
      Good luck!

• Touche. Valid point indeed.

• Age is just a number

• There wouldn't appear to be a problem as this is normal. People might question you being with someone 15 years older than you, though.

• Okay.
      Yes you're right. I already look really young. People think I am like fifteen based on physical appearance. So when i briefly dated this 31 year old everyone had a look to give and a thing to say.

• I don't see the big deal

• I was skeptical because one of my friends have me crap about it.

• No I can't see it being a problem since it's a one year age difference. If anything the 5-15 year age difference is problematic.

• You think so? Isn't kind of taboo for the girl to be older?

• Nobody cares about a one year age difference even if the woman is older.

• Ohkay. Thanks.

What Girls Said 4

• I don't think it is.

• Okay good. Maybe I'm just nervous about what others may think.

• Yeah it would be if you are used to older financially secured men and he is not at that stage to appear attractive for you. The attraction might wear out when you finish college and he's just starting.

• I never thought about that. Oh my gosh. Although I was never financially dependent on those men.

• No... this makes the most sense.

• YOU GUYS ARE A YEAR APART, CAN I JUST SAY ATTENTION HOG!

• Honestly not looking for attention. I was just wondering how people felt considering the difference in age but life.