What is the difference between flat and sharps?

I always thought sharps were notes , and flats was when you combine a sharp note as the root note to form a chord.
I'm not really sure of piano, but I know that on guitar sharp notes are referred to as #, and Flat notes are only used when you see a sharp root note in a chord. b

Updates:
But i've seen many guitarists on youtube, mostly rock ones, refer to them notes as flat.
I read in a book, that a sharp note only becomes a flatted note when in a chord with other notes, it seems logical, but then i also heard that there's a notable pitch difference between a sharp and a flat...

Basically a sharp note may be a semi-tone of half step, but in between that a flat is also a note in itself

0|0
1|2

Most Helpful Guy

• sharp sound more edgy maybe?

0|0
    1|1

What Girls Said 1

• flats are a semi tone lower than a natural. sharps are a semi tone higher than a natural. they are each one tone apart. thats the difference.

0|0
    0|0
    • Any proof? If you say played a F# Sharp note, then played a full barre F# major chord, it then becomes a Gb major chord?

• Show All
    • yeah but guitarists and bassists have it so bad, at least you can see the sharp keys on a piano (black ones)
      on the guitar , you can't see that, but i know where the sharps are from memorising the fretboard and learning octaves...

also there's fret jumps in scales on guitar, but on the piano, you can play scales in what looks like chromatic run, but its actually not

• yeah, im not sure about piano but on bass and presumably guitar you can play notes (including flats and sharps) in chronological order, playing a scale is just easier when you go up/down the neck as opposed to across the strings because theyre tuned differently and you have to skip a few to get to the right note to play a scale.. im not really sure what you're asking here though, could you please specify your question?

What Guys Said 1

• Ok so i dont know if this will be any help but here it goes...
    So on the scale, let us take a range of A to B
    Ab, A , A# (which is pretty much the same thing as a) Bb, B, B#

The difference is manly audible. Like i said hard to explain.

1|0
    0|0