What do Jehovah's Witnesses actually believe in?

Okay, so I had Jehovah's Witnesses knock on my door and give me a leaflet and they seemed very nice. Anyway, that got me curious; how are they different from all of the other Christians? I know that they are against blood donation and so forth and apparently they don't really believe in the afterlife.
So what are their core beliefs? What is it like to actually be one?

Most Helpful Guy

• Hey, you seem to be interested and curious about Jehovah's Witnesses :) here is an honest source of answers www.jw.org instead of one sided opinions :)

You never truly know what the religion is about until you immerse yourself and see for yourself instead of listening to those who never really had an idea of who Jehovah's Witnesses are.

Their main beliefs are that:

Jehovah is the name of the God Almighty and Jesus being the son (two separate beings) and Jehovah being the greatest
    John 14:28 ; 1 Corinthians 11:3 ; 1 Corinthians 15:27,28

It is to Jehovah only, that you offer prayers and render sacred services (worship etc.)
    Matthew 4:10

There will be 144,000 anointed Christians who will look forward to a life in heaven in a position of rulership with Jesus as King for the 1000 years Christ Reign while Satan is held in an abyss for the 1000 years restricted from interference of humans. Whereas the rest will be resurrected and will look forward to a life on paradise earth John 5:28-29

It's not like "oh you're not part of the 144,000 who will go to heaven, bye bye we don't want you" No. those 144,000 anointed Christians are chosen by faith, capability etc. and the rest will be ressurrected and live in a peaceful paradise psalm 37:10-11

Jehovah's witnesses believe that 'Hell' does not exist. Romans 6:23 "The wages sin pays is death" (reason being that the scripture speaks nothing about suffering in a hellfire forever)

Ecclesiastes 9:5,10 "The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all"

Psalms 146:4 "His spirit goes out, he goes back into his ground; in that day his thoughts perish"

They also reason that 'why would a loving God an a God of justice send those to a place of torment forever only just for a couple of sinful years on earth?'

This so far is just the tip of the iceberg, as you can see, these statements have been proven by scriptural evidence (using any bible)

If you are interested, you can leave a comment or inbox me if you want but all the info is at www.jw.org

What Guys Said 9

• False religions are a tool of Satan which is why it's important to believe in the one true religion, theirs. Also only 144000 people get into Heaven so you have to be truly righteous.

Meanwhile, congrats, now that you've spoken to tthem, they are going to keep coming back.

• basically what the bible says... but in a very literal way. i sometimes have a little chat with them when they visit again. they believe ordinary statemets from the bible that are allways aplicable refer to the present day. for example in the bible it says "there will be earth quakes and famines.

and they´re all like "see that´s exactly what we got today" ... and i´m like "are you kidding me? i could tell you that you will have to go to the toilet and it´s not more of a miracle that i know than that."

• I'm Catholic, but I respect everyone's views upon religion, even the Atheist ones. I see everyone's point of view and I'm not going to argue with any religion or non believers which theories or facts are right. People are allowed to believe in whatever they want to believe in.

• i have only one experience with these animals, and thats when i was 7 or 8 or something, and they came to tell us that everything that happens is god's will. this was less than a week after my little sister passed away. my mum broke down and tried to close the door but they put their foot in and persisted. those people are not humans

• my buddy is one, the main beleif is that god has a name: johovah they dont belive in psychics or anybody who can predict the future you can drink alcahol but you aren't allowed to get drunk (yes paradox right there) no sex before marriage (standard fare) most of your earnings go to the church.

• that their bible is the original bible with no flaws

• They're a cult and a pyramid scheme, stay the fuck away from them.

• really weird things... had a JW friend and we had some discussions

• The main difference is JW do firmly believe in the Bible and only the Bible.

Most Christians believe and all sort of non Biblical things without any scriptural support.

If you can prove a point with Biblical scriptures, JW will essentially believe it, ordinary Christians believe wherever they feel like, even if it's against the scriptures.

That is in essence the difference.

What Girls Said 3

• All I know is they don't celebrate holidays or their birthday and I thought they did believe in an afterlife that's why they go around trying to get everyone else to believe in their religion so they and everyone else can get into heaven by serving and spreading their belief.

• Whatever they believe in, it doesn't matter. They still operate like a cult and if a member wants to leave, they won't let them leave.

• They believe that Jehovah is the Soverign of the universe and Jesus is his son. They are the only religion that can back up their beliefs by scripture and verse. They have many beliefs , but every belief is based on God's word in the Bible rather than human thinking or beliefs. They adhere to God s standards and abide by his laws. They won't have blood transfusions, but have alternative treatment.