What do you think about this?

*Note* this is not me or my family in this situation. This is the situation of a friend's family. What do you think about parents and siblings of a mentally handicapped individual using the word "retard" as an insult and in everyday conversation? Also... my computer randomly decided that the "enter" key shall no longer be a thing so I'm sorry if this turns out all weird.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would think since they have someone mentally handicapped in their family they would refrain from using words like that.
    As a sibling and as a parent it would be heart breaking for my child to be looked at as that because I would still find the beauty in that person.
    That word is insulting and that kid would have family who were insensitive.
    But the sad thing is he/she may never know it depending on how severe the mental disability is.

• Well he graduated from HS this year so I mean he's not like SUPER behind. But still, it's significant enough that there are physical differences in addition to his mental capabilities. He helped his sister (my friend) move home from college and his parents used "retarded" to describe something in front of him. They also routinely called him dumb and stupid. I was just kind of alarmed.

• I mean, I understand wanting to treat him like a normal person but... that's kind of pushing it.

• They are insensitive and cold towards him

What Guys Said 2

• really offensive... these parents/sibs r assholes

• That's horrible!

What Girls Said 2

• I don't think in 2015 the "R word" should be used by anyone.

• "Retard" is not acceptable by any means.