How do you know if you can trust someone?

Most Helpful Guy

• Trust is somewhat like faith; it is something that you do without having absolute proof that the person deserves your trust. You should generally believe that people are trustworthy unless they prove otherwise, because most people are trustworthy. However, there are some who are not and they look just like the trustworthy ones. If what you are entrusting is important, you should establish some guidelines for yourself on who you will trust. How well do you know this person? What is their reputation for being trustworthy? Do they have any apparent motive to violate your trust? Have you trusted them with other things before and, if so, how did they handle it?

One absolute rule that you should establish for relationships is that someone who has violated your trust once should never be trusted again.

One other absolute rule is this: unless they are truly and really mentally ill, you should always trust that your parents want the best for you. You may disagree with some of their opinions or choices but, in their hearts, they are trying to do what they believe is best for you.

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 14

• In what context?

• Like friends at school, how do I know that they are real friends. How does it feels like?

• For me it was the feeling that I could tell them anything without fear of them passing it on to other people.

• I trust only buttered cookies... not humans...

• I don't trust anyone until they give me a reason to trust them. They have to prove themselves by doing something really kind, helping me out, or keeping a secret for me, or something of the sort.

• Hindsight will prove it. Hindsight is 80%, I guess.

• my gut feeling hasn't let me down so far, if they betray me then I will fill their home with cockroaches as a sign of revenge ! >:D

• When they have proven it to you time and time again

• you dont, thats why its called trust

• they have to do something that makes me want to trust them
    the longer and the better I get to know the person, the bigger the chance of trusting that person will be

• You don't know. You just have to trust them, or not

• If that person has been trustworthy to everyone else.

• I can't know before spending some time with someone :)

• You don't. That's why I only half-trust anyone but family.

• Do the false secret test.

• You can't.

What Girls Said 6

• You start out trusting, then as time goes on, you see the way they treat people, how they act towards you, whether they do what they say they are going to, if they are sneaky or not. All of it takes time. Most people or maybe just me trust until the trust is broken. It takes time for all of it.

• When I feel the comfort of knowing I can tell them anything and not be judged or badly spoken about.

• Do they share secrets with you? It may sound childish, but a true friend sees you as a trustworthy person and shares personal information with you. From what’s going on at work to his/her love life, a true friend doesn’t have dark areas of their life that you’re not allowed to see.

Of course, even more importantly, do you share secrets with them? Do you trust that they will keep what you tell them themselves? Be on the lookout if they share other people’s secrets with you.

• You don't know.

• You don't, just give them a chance or two

• by their actions.